How long does SLAMing, on average take?

Just tested pH and TA. Still letting my FC drop. I didn't test my FC at this time since I am just about out of my testing solution for FC, but I did test it about 2 hours ago and it was 12.5, so it has to be 10 or lower at this point, which is why I am now testing pH and TA.

My pH is looking about 7.3/7.4, TA at 60. Would you leave these alone at this point? Both looking a tad low but thinking I should let them settle and see where they end up at this point?

Also, have to retest my CYA on Friday to see my true number. Is it true, the lower your CYA, the less chlorine you need to maintain it, BUT the quicker that chlorine dissipates and you need to do more additions throughout the day than you would if you had a higher CYA? Is that right?

Those look fine. TA might be creeping a tad low, but for now aeration will raise your pH over time so you look good. Don't worry about TA for a bit. Just keep your FC in line with your CYA for a while and get the feel for your clean pool (balancing-wise and jump in!)

Do the full battery of tests when you can and post the whole shebang.

Do the full battery of tests when you can and post the whole shebang.

Ok, here is my full battery of tests for today. At this point, my CYA # should be accurate since it's exactly one week from addition:

FC: 4.5.
CYA: 30
pH: 7.2/7.3
TA: 60
CH: 140

Any recommendations/suggestions/advice? Numbers look pretty good, with exception of slightly low TA. Pool looks sparkling, however.

Everything looks great! I wouldn't touch TA yet either. Recommended is 70-90+ but at this point I'd keep an eye on pH. Your pool might just like it at that TA and raising the TA might just make your pH rise more quickly. Normal aeration should raise your pH slowly over time.

Keep an eye on your FC daily usage once you start having to dose to keep it in the recommended range. If you're losing more than you'd like during the day to sun, you could look at bumping CYA to 40 to try to help that. Also depends on if you have any vacations or will be gone for several days and might want to leave some CYA room for puck usage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything looks great! I wouldn't touch TA yet either. Recommended is 70-90+ but at this point I'd keep an eye on pH. Your pool might just like it at that TA and raising the TA might just make your pH rise more quickly. Normal aeration should raise your pH slowly over time.

Keep an eye on your FC daily usage once you start having to dose to keep it in the recommended range. If you're losing more than you'd like during the day to sun, you could look at bumping CYA to 40 to try to help that. Also depends on if you have any vacations or will be gone for several days and might want to leave some CYA room for puck usage.

I was thinking of looking at increasing CYA in the future too, as long as no long vacations are planned. Last year, we were at 40 and I remember only losing 2 ppm of liquid chlorine per day, on a sunny day. I have a feeling with my CYA at 30, I will have to adjust more often throughout the day, having to add more chlorine than I did last year. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

A side question, if your FC target is 4, and at 11:00 a.m, you are at 4.5, would you dose it now a bit (maybe to say 6), to save you from possibly getting too low later in the day, just as a reassurance? I'm just thinking...FC is 4.5 now and we haven't even hit the most sunny part of the day yet, I may want to give it a bit more right now.

Can't wait to get a schedule with my chlorine. I remember last year adding it every evening one time per day, around 5:00 or 6:00, but right now, I am off schedule!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.