swimming pool with to many chemicals in it

mj

Jul 13, 2008
pool place that tests my water said my pool holds 2400 gals but it holds 1400 so now i have to many chemicals in it can i do anything to get them out other backwashing and refilling with my hose

What size and shape is it ? Above ground, inground. Round, oval, rectangle etc .......
Also post some numbers for us so we can see what we are up against. It might be helpful to add your pool size, shape and equipment you have as well as style (Vinyl, gunite, fiberglass) in your signature to help us.
Has this pool store sold you chemicals before?

Holy Moly, folks! The OP's question was if there is anything easier than draining. The answer is, "No".

Completely or partially draining a 1400 gal pool will take a couple of hours and he's on track. It doesn't need to be more complex than that.

Edit for line breaks:jjparrish

sorry my first time on here my pool is 24ft round above ground 4ft deep hayward 3/4 hp with sand filter,

i have had four readings done6/23 free chlor 2.3 total chlor 2.9 combined 0.6 ph 7.6 hardness 120 alkalinity 77 cyanuric acid 10 copper 0 iron 0 total dissolved 500 this was day after i took my cover off pool was a little green got so it was almost clear and my pump died three days to fix it so it went back to green

7/3 test again free chlor 0.0 total 0.0 combined 0.0 ph 7.8 hardness 290 alka 147 cyanuric acid 10 copper 0 iron 0 total diss 500 major cloud can not see the bottomtest again

7/9 free chlor 3.3 total chlor 3.8 combined 0.5 ph 8.0 hardness 260 alkalinity 137 cyaunric acid 10 copper 0.51 (thya said this is ok i used allgeacide 7/6) iron 0 total diss 500 latest test

7/11 free 9.4 total 9.4 combines 0.0 ph 7.7 hardness 230 alkalinty 107 cyaunric acid 0.34 (still sayng ok cause of allgeacide on 7/6) copper0 total 500

ok now first test added 17 lbs 4oz alkalinty 31lbs 8oz calcium 4lbs sodium hypo shock 6lbs stabalizer 10 oz algeacide

second test 2lbs 4oz ph minus 3pt 3oz sodium hypo 6lbs stabalizer clarifier accord to manufactors directions

third test 3lbs ph minus 8 gall sodium hypo 6lbs stabilizer fourth test 2lbs 4oz ph minus 6 lbs stabalizer clarifier this every thing they have had me do and we still havent been in it yet still can not see the bottom of the pool

started last night backwashing and refilling with my hose to try and fix this prob a little bit thanks for any help you can give me

Okay, yeah, you are being pool stored....big time. Find a new pool store, don't go there again.

I broke up your post to show your test results and the action they had you take is now in bold, below each test result. My comments then follow in Italics.....

Your Pool is about 13,000 gallons. Draining it is not the way to go. Clearly there was a misunderstanding here. This can be fixed.

mj said:
sorry my first time on here my pool is 24ft round above ground 4ft deep hayward 3/4 hp with sand filter,i have had four readings done

6/23 free chlor 2.3 total chlor 2.9 combined 0.6 ph 7.6 hardness 120 alkalinity 77 cyanuric acid 10 copper 0 iron 0 total dissolved 500 this was day after i took my cover off pool was a little green got so it was almost clear and my pump died three days to fix it so it went back to green

ok now first test added 17 lbs 4oz alkalinty 31lbs 8oz calcium 4lbs sodium hypo shock 6lbs stabalizer 10 oz algeacide Your numbers were good, except high combined chlorine at .6 all you should have had to do was shock and add stabilizer. Your alkalinity was fine, the 17lbs 4 oz Alk was pointless, Your "hardness" was fine at 120, so the 31lbs 8 oz calcium was unneccessary. Same with the algaecide. They took your money and threw your water balance out of whack. TDS is not something you need to worry about.

7/3 test again free chlor 0.0 total 0.0 combined 0.0 ph 7.8 hardness 290 alka 147 cyanuric acid 10 copper 0 iron 0 total diss 500 major cloud can not see the bottom

second test 2lbs 4oz ph minus 3pt 3oz sodium hypo 6lbs stabalizer clarifier accord to manufactors directions

Your PH is now a bit high and your TA high because of the chems they had you add, so now they tell you to add PH minus to correct their bad advice. Your hardness doubled because of the calcium they told you to add. You can't see the bottom because of the algae and lack of chlorine. Telling you to add 3 pt 3 oz of sodium hypo wouldn't do much, especially kill your algae blooming. :shock: Aha! they finally have you add stabilizer. BUT.....The six lbs they told you to add will put your CYA too high at 70. Ideally for your pool it should be 30-50. Once it's in there they only way to lower it is thru fresh water replacement via partial drain and refill or frequent backwashing of your sandfilter. The more CYA you have the more chlorine you need to use. See the CYA Chlorine chart to get an understanding of how much chlorine you now need to put in your pool to kill and prevent algae. Clarifier! Of course, their most profitable product that really isn't going to help you now. :roll:

test again 7/9 free chlor 3.3 total chlor 3.8 combined 0.5 ph 8.0 hardness 260 alkalinity 137 cyaunric acid 10 copper 0.51 (thya said this is ok i used allgeacide 7/6) iron 0 total diss 500

third test 3lbs ph minus 8 gall sodium hypo 6lbs stabilizer fourth test 2lbs 4oz ph minus 6 lbs stabalizer clarifier The first 2 lbs of ph minus did nothing so now they are increasing your dose and increasing their profits. More clarifier, I see.... :roll: AHA! progress! - 8 gallons of sodium hypo, now were talking! 6 lbs stabilizer? Are you kidding? If you already added the first 6 lbs on 7/3, your CYA is now 130 or some ridiculous number PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T ADD THE SECOND DOSE OF STABILIZER!

This particular pool stealer is costing you a small fortune! STOP using the algaecide, you don't need it and you could end up staining your pool because of the copper. Plus, it has the added benefit of turning blonde hair green. :shock: stop using the clarifier, it's not going to help.

latest test 7/11 free 9.4 total 9.4 combines 0.0 ph 7.7 hardness 230 alkalinty 107 cyaunric acid 0.34 (still sayng ok cause of allgeacide on 7/6) copper0 total 500

CYA/Stabilizer takes up to a week to fully dissolve and register completely on tests. So if, and I doubt it, their CYA test of .34 on 7/11 was accurate, your shock level for chlorine is 12. So you need to add about almost one full jug of clorox bleach or wal-mart brand (the small jug size) to raise your shock level to 12. Muratic Acid will lower your PH, you can buy that at Home Depot or pool stores (just not that particular pool store). The TA is something we will leave for later.
this every thing they have had me do and we still havent been in it yet still can not see the bottom of the pool started last night backwashing and refilling with my hose to try and fix this prob a little bit thanks for any help you can give me

You need a good test kit. TF test kits, link on the home page here, sells a great kit the TF-100. You can do all these tests yourself and trust their accuracy. You can post your results here and get free GREAT advice from all the experts on here. You can use the Pool Calculator to correctly determine what to add and how much. YOu can use the CYA/Chlorine chart to figure out your goals. In otherwords get a good test kit and take control of your pool, so that you don't get pool stored again.

Keep running your filter 24/7, brushing your entire pool every day, especially in areas where algae like to hide, like under stairs... and keep your chlorine to shock level thru frequent additions of bleach.

I hope I didn't leave you too overwhelmed, this is a lot of information to absorb but we are here to help. Read the articles in Pool school, especially the ones about BBB for beginners, the ABC's, and Defeating Algae. Post your questions here.

We're with you MJ! :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have a good trip frustratedpoolmom!

Your numbers are basically alright, a few minor adjustments to be made, but no rush on that. You just need to shock the pool, which is basically what frustratedpoolmom was saying only in fewer words.

Now would be a good time to do some reading in the Pool School section of this site. You should start with Defeating Algae and then look at Shocking Your Pool. There is plenty of other good reading there as well, but those two are the best place to start right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.