How many trichlor pucks to up CYA

May 15, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CYA level seems to have dropped from 35 to ~15 in just a few weeks. I tested twice over a span of 3 days just to confirm I didn't do something wrong while testing. We have had a lot of rain recently so I'm hoping that's why because I haven't added any water to the pool. It seems odd to me because my level was always much higher last year, even after draining off part of the pool. I never had to increase CYA after converting to BBB last year. Does this seem reasonable? I can't find the tub of stabilizer that came with the pool so I was thinking of putting some trichlor pucks into the currently unused inline chlorinator. My pool volume is about 5500 gallons and the pool calculator tells me I need to add 18 oz. of stabilizer. How many 3" pucks would that equate to? Thanks.

Plug your pool volume into poolmath and scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what each 8 oz trichlor puck will do to your chemistry. Make sure your pH and TA numbers are towards the high end, or you run the risk of dropping pH too low for swimming comfort and will have to add baking soda and bleach to counteract it. And if you're buying that stuff, you might as well just buy plain CYA instead.

Thanks. I forgot about that handy feature at the bottom of the calculator. I'll try that to figure out how many I should use. I already have the pucks from before I converted last year so I was hoping to avoid buying anything. Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.