Need Help

Jul 13, 2008
I have had Baquacil in my pool for the last 2 seasons. This year I have developed the apparently common slime... I have no idea where to start and the pool stores around my area are Oh so Helpful *sarcasm*However, I am in the middle of the season and my kids would appreciate the fastest conversion. Can anyone tell me if it is easier to convert with a full pool or should I drain it and start. I have a small pool (15'x4') so re-filling is pretty inexpensive. I have begun reading through your posts and have found all your input to be very helpful!

Thanks!
Jodi

Hi Jodi and welcome to TFP! :wave:

While all pools are different, you can count on at least a week to do a conversion. The two biggest factors that influence the time required are the initial Baq levels and the diligence with which you add and maintain the chlorine at 15 ppm. Something else to consider is the efficiency of your filter. It sounds like you have an Intex pool. If that is the case, it will take a while to clear the water once the Baq is consumed by the chlorine if you choose to do the conversion.

If you want to just drain and refill, make sure you replace the filter media before you refill the pool to minimize the amount of Baq the chlorine will have to consume.

In any case, good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Thanks for the input! I have decided to drain, clean, and refill. Then start with the conversion... Where can i find information regarding conversion with fresh water?? Should I change my sand before I begin refilling?? Any suggestions on where to start! I am a beginner with pool/chemicals in general...

Thanks!!

Change the sand before you refill....that'll get rid of more of the baquagoo.

Several articles in Pool School will help you. Start with the elementary ones at the to[p and procede down to the conversion articles.

Draining and refilling AND replacing the sand before you refill will rid your system of the majority of the Baquacil. It will then just be a matter of adding chlorine and maintaining shock chlorine levels (15 PPM Free Chlorine - FC) to "consume" the Baquacil residue (until you have less than 0.5 Combined Chlorine - CC). I can't overstress the need to follow Duraleigh's recommendation to read the articles at the pool school. Here is the link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/category/pool-school/. Once you read a little, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

You also need to get a GOOD test kit. The TF-100 in Duraleigh' signature line comes highly recommended. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

jodi_45 said:
Thanks for the input! I have decided to drain, clean, and refill. Then start with the conversion... Where can i find information regarding conversion with fresh water?? Should I change my sand before I begin refilling?? Any suggestions on where to start! I am a beginner with pool/chemicals in general...

Thanks!!

If you drain, clean and refill, there is no conversion!!
Drain, clean, change your sand (and clean the filter) and refill... that's it! Then you can start balancing the water according to this article: category/pool-school/balance_your_pool_water.

Happy swimming!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.