About to start BBB, first steps

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
After my last trip to Leslies. They tested my water because I accidently let my inline run out of tabs and the water was cloudy. They said my cya was 90 and my calcium was low. Chlorine was non existent. TA and PH were fine. While sweeping the steps i noticed a light dusting of what I'm guessing is algae. I added half the water hardness they perscribed and now show according to my kit, 500. I give up. I just ordered my K-2006 and should be in Friday. I'm going to drain 2ft of water and refill tomorrow. What will be my first steps?

1. You've already ordered a good test kit.
2. stop going to leslies
3. while you're waiting for your kit read all you can of the pool school there's a link at the top of every page-- like Dave said, don't drain until you get the accurate result from your K-2006.
4. follow all the good advice you will find in this forum.
5 enjoy your well maintained pool!!!

Step 1, get some chlorine in that pool. Use bleach, not tablets. Tablets are what got your CYA up to 90. I suspect it's higher, actually. Minimum FC for 90 CYA is 7. Target is higher. 1.5 jugs of standard 8.25% clorox every day should keep that cloudy water from turning into green water until you get your test kit

Step 2. Wait for your test kit before doing anything. If they said 90 on CYA, it could just as easily be 50 or 150. If you drain without needing to, you'll have wasted time and money. If you drain and discover you didn't drain enough, you'll have wasted even more time and money. Any action on your pool chemistry starts with accurate test results.

Step 3. Prepare yourself for combat. Read some lengthy threads in the Defeating Algae forum. Most of them start with high CYA and uglier water than you, but the process is likely the same. Then browse pool school and read

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/130-definitions-and-abbreviations

and any other articles that strike your fancy

Package showed up in the mail a day early, YAY!!! My K-2006 arrived. I have been adding 1.5 gl of bleach since Monday. I have been brushing the pool every afternoon after I add the bleach seeing a small amount of dusting. Today, there was not much dusting as before. I swam with my mask and snorkel and brushed with a corner brush and it didn't seem to be green anymore. Now for the numbers:
FC. 7.5
CC. .5
PH. 7.8
TA 80
CH 280
CYA 100+ (bottom of the CYA letters on the tube) assuming this is super high
Thanks for everyone's input
Jury duty this morning, after that I'm ready to get started

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.