About to start BBB, first steps

I'm not totally pleased with the results, but a lot better than where I was
FC. .04
CC. .02
PH. 7.6
TA. 90
CH. 200
CYA. 50
I will adjust all but CH tonight since I have to get up in 6 hours.
I see nothing that needs work but the FC. Everything else looks fine.

You must have one of the old instruction manuals with the typo. The 10ml FC and CC tests use .5 as the multiplier. The 25 ml test uses .2. So I suspect they're actually .4 and .2.

I got new numbers today. The sticky on testing is a must read and it makes more sense now.
FC 1.5 ( added bleach last night to bring it to target of 6)
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 220 (added some hardness last night)
CYA 50

I have a nice clear pool with no visable signs of algae. I see no dusting from sweeping. Any ideas where my FC is running off to? I added 13oz of muratic acid a few minutes ago.
I even retested with my oto kit and still got 1.5

I got new numbers today. The sticky on testing is a must read and it makes more sense now.
FC 1.5 ( added bleach last night to bring it to target of 6)
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 220 (added some hardness last night)
CYA 50

I have a nice clear pool with no visable signs of algae. I see no dusting from sweeping. Any ideas where my FC is running off to? I added 13oz of muratic acid a few minutes ago.
I even retested with my oto kit and still got 1.5

You need to SLAM and then try and pass the OCLT. Bringing it to 6 is not enough. For CYA of 50, you need a shock level of 20.
Finish it off with a SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On a side note. I have about 6 friends that also own pools. All of them use pucks and battle algae. I have given TFP info to all of them. This method makes to much sense not to use it.

I'm not sure Walmart can keep up with demand if I tell my friends. I already feel like I'm the guy that gets the last bottle of bleach and says sorry the rest of you are stuck with the scented stuff....lol.

Checked this morning at 3:30 and
FC. 21
CC. 0

- - - Updated - - -

I was inspired by the pic of the bleach bottles!!!

Looks like you passed assuming your water is still clear (it was a few days ago).
Now just let it drift back down to normal levels and never let it drop below the min. Looks like your min is 4 and target is 6.
Shock level is 20, so a drop of 1 FC and it's good to go to swim (Probably fine actually now)

I'd keep my eye on it for the next week, testing to be sure your massive consumption is over.

Nice job! Enjoy!

I just got home from work and tested
FC 11
I would assume that the sun light at 95 degrees. Would that be a normal drop over 11.5 hours? The pool is in full sun from sunup until 8pm.
Of all the reading I've done, I haven't seen anyone talk about what a normal day will be like. Test daily and add daily?

I just got home from work and tested
FC 11
I would assume that the sun light at 95 degrees. Would that be a normal drop over 11.5 hours? The pool is in full sun from sunup until 8pm.
Of all the reading I've done, I haven't seen anyone talk about what a normal day will be like. Test daily and add daily?

Boy that's a lot of drop, but maybe that is correct with the amount of sun you had. (I have no experience with that amount of heat and sun, other feel free to chime in)
I wonder with that much sun if you find your chlorine consumption is high during the day that it might be feasible to raise your CYA a little bit to 60, but I wouldn't do that yet.
(I know this sounds like conflicting advice a little, we told you to lower CYA, now telling you to raise it, lol, but a little higher will protect the chlorine a little more, but will have the negative effect of raising the shock level in case you need to SLAM it again)

I'd be tempted to test daily and add daily once it drops below 6.
I would test tonight after the sun goes down and then again in the morning without adding anything to see if you lose anything overnight this time.

Keep posting your usage and we'll help you monitor it.

ETA: How's the water look?

If you dropped from 21 to 11 in one day that's not normal unless something other than sunlight is chewing it up. Assuming your CYA really is near 50. I'm in hot AZ sun and I'm losing about 3.5ppm a day and I think I'm slightly high. I just did the OCLT and it was 1.0 but it was one of those tests where you say to yourself...hmm...did that last drop change color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.