Virginia Chef ready to help you with your cooking needs!

Ready to start looking better in that swim suit? I can help! Lets start with sauces and salad dressings! You can produce your own low-fat dressings and save yourself money by adding two things to your kitchen! A wand mixer and a product called Xanthan gum. Xanthan gum replaces all the thickeners ( corn starch, flour, etc.. ). It is a tree cellulose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum take ranch dressing. Ranch dressing typically has a lot of mayonnaise, oils it taste great but is not very healthy for you. With Xanthan gum you can cut down on all the high fat ingredients and still make it taste great. Xantham gum ties any liquid into a sauce, It is a fine powder that you add to whatever sauce/dressing you are making to make it thicken. It does not need to be hot in order to thicken. instead of using a lot of oil you instead replace it with water. Water and Xantham gum are your best friends when cooking low fat. You need to be careful when adding Xantham gum to whatever you are making. A pinch and mix, a pinch and mix. To much and it can taste a little gloppy. Just put enough until it starts to thicken up. Now say your making something that has other things in it besides the sauce like a stew or a chunky soup. Since you need to use a hand mixer you need to make the sauce part separate because you would grind up anything to a liquid when you are mixing. it takes a little to get use to but once you get a feel for it you can make anything low fat and make it taste great. Here is the type of mixer i am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORaqhd6ZlLw

I've always called those a "boat motor". I guess I got that from the food channel on cable. We have one, and yes, it is very useful for quite a few cooking needs.

When cooking sauces and stews, I favor making a roux. If I need a clear sauce/gravy, it's corn starch. I've looked for xanthan gum in the local markets, but since there is very little call for it no one carries it.

Doug... nothing completes a meal like a side of dog n cat hair! Believe me, I have 2 Boxers and a Rottweiler! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.