New Pool Just Started

TommyD

May 29, 2014
Atoka, TN
So I just started the pool pump. Wile waiting on my K2006 test kit I used some strips that I had.

PH 8.4
FC 0-0.5
TA 80
CYA 0

I started adding stabilizer, only about a pond so far.
It doesn't seem to dissolve so quickly and I didn't want to overload the skimmer so I thought I should just add it periodically throughout the afternoon.
Thinking of doing 4 lbs first then test again. I don't want to put too much in and go too high.
Pool match says I should add a little over 8 lbs. Is that to help the PH come down?

I need to go get some bleach.
Do I pour that in the pool by the return jets or should that go into the skimmer as well?

cya doesn't lower pH muriatic acid does. use pool math to determine how much stabilizer to add to get you up to 30, yes, you need to get some bleach in there (return jets for bleach) come to think of it, are you using the sock method for your cya add? Heres a good thread on how to add cya: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72198-How-to-add-CYA I'm assuming you meant you put in 1 pound of stabilizer, that would have increased your cya by 4.5 ppm and lowered your pH by .08ppm (negligible) to lower your pH to the recommended 7.5 ppm you will need 52 oz of 31.45 % muriatic acid-that will lower your TA by 7.7 ppm (no big deal)

First you need to lower your PH with acid.
Second figure out how much CYA you've added and adjust your FC for it. Recommended Levels
What CYA level are you aiming for ? Just a reminder, don't bother testing CYA levels after adding for a week. It can take that long to fully register on a test.

I read where CYA did lower PH. I guess it is not enough to matter.
Im going to lowes right now to get the acid and bleach.
I am using pool math with a CYA goal of 40. FC goal of 4 and PH 7.5

Your correct about the CYA lowering PH, it isn't much though. Pool math at the bottom of the page, Effects Of Adding Chem's, will tell you how much X amount of CYA will lower PH.
When you get your CYA level to 40 target your FC at 7 and don't let it fall below 3. That will give you wiggle room for FC burn off and you won't fall below your min of 3. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.