Just trying to take control before I lose it

Jan 22, 2014
So we just finished the build. Been reading pool school and it has been a week and a half since getting keys. In that short week I think I have already lost control. Need to be able to show my husband we can do this before he calls a dreaded pool guy.

Here is what my results look like

FC .0025

CC .0025

pH. 8.0

TA. 110

cH 250

CYA. 65

I checked the canister on those pucks the PB has and it looks empty so it could definitely be that they are all gone and I want to move to liquid bleach.

So if I am reading pool math right. I need

50 oz of 12% bleach to raise my FC to 5. My question is should my goal really be 5 or 3?

I also know my ph has to come down and will add the 14 oz of muriatic acid to lower to 7.5.

I think the rest of my numbers are okay but just a little confused on where my targets need to be since the book that came with the Taylor test and the TFP site vary?

Can you advise on if I have my thoughts right on the dosage and what my goals should be? Have my muriatic acid already going to run to store to get my bleach and will be ready to start. Thanks for your help

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 9,600 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing that you have a Taylor test kit. Is is the full test kit like in my siggy below?

I would use the pool math and TFP goals. They tried and tested!

Yes I have Taylor test kit. Okay I will use the TFP goals

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 9,600 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
Texas

Drop the pH to 7.4. After 30 minutes, raise the fc to 5.

How did you get the fc and cc levels?

Also, I would recommend not using ozone.

I ran the FC and CC test out of my Taylor kit and got nothing that is why I believe my pool may have no chlorine. ??

I was too late fighting that battle with my PB. So it is part of my system. I guess I can work on figuring out how to turn off later? Do you think it will impact my results down the road?

Texas

Haven't put in yet. at store buying bleach now. PB had pool running off pucks

Texas

Note: The recommendation for a pH of 7.4 is only because your TA is a little high. I would recommend lowering the TA and raising the calcium hardness. Once the TA is down, I would keep the pH in the 7.7 to 7.8 range.

The ozone will be counterproductive, in my opinion. It will destroy chlorine and it will oxidize metals. If you have floor returns, you will probably get metal stains around the returns. It should be easy to turn off.

If you don't have an FAS-DPD test kit, it would be worthwhile to get one.

Ozone has a tendency to consume a small % of your FC. Unplug that rascal!

I will do. PB coming back this week to replace the iaqualink board for hubby so once I am done with him I will do that!!

Texas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drop the pH to 7.4. After 30 minutes, raise the fc to 5.

How did you get the fc and cc levels?

Also, I would recommend not using ozone.

James I realized my error in calculating my FC and CC. My FC should have been .5

Texas

I added on Saturday 72 oz of 8.25% bleach and 14 oz of acid

Texas

We were gone Sunday so I tested again tonight and got

FC 1
CC 0
TA. 110
CH. 250
CYA 58

So tonight I added 20 oz of acid and 58 oz of bleach

So I know I just got to keep getting that chlorine level up and my ph a bit further down.

It has been 2 hours I wonder if I test again and dose the bleach again tonight?

Texas

So I tested again and am pleased with my results

FC 8
CC. .5
PH. 7.4
TA 100
CH 250
CYA. 50

Texas

If you can't add chlorine to the pool regularly it's alright to occasionally overdose the FC a bit.

For a CYA of 50:

Minimum FC: 4
Target FC: 8
Shock level FC: 20

You could shoot for halfway between target and shock which would be FC 14. That should buy you an extra day or 2 depending on sun exposure, and it's still safe to swim.

If you can't add chlorine to the pool regularly it's alright to occasionally overdose the FC a bit.

For a CYA of 50:

Minimum FC: 4
Target FC: 8
Shock level FC: 20

You could shoot for halfway between target and shock which would be FC 14. That should buy you an extra day or 2 depending on sun exposure, and it's still safe to swim.

Thanks for the tip Jesse. My husband agreed to be the pool boy but he is slow coming around. I will get him there because I travel a lot for work so he is going to have to get on the TFP plan quickly!

I feel like I am starting to have it all click in my brain.

Texas

Just write out a basic list of things for him to do.

Mine has NO idea how to maintain the pool. His only job is to brush the sides. The one time he slipped on that I was able to show him the extra bill for bleach and he got to see the algae that was starting come off when I brushed the pool. He has been good at in since.

When I had to go out of town for the weekend I just made a note for him to add __ cups of bleach to the pool each evening. I would call him to check in and ask if he did the pool yet. LOL It worked so..........

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.