Very high TA. Can I run the SWG Yet?

V5dG82

May 27, 2014
SW Michigan
I just filled our Intex 18x48 from tap with very high TA. Over 300, stopped counting drops at 30 and figured I'd work on lowering it and check again later. Ph from tap is 7.2. I started aerating immediately by making sure the hose filling the pool was arking up and slashing down into the water, and once a few inches were in the pool I used the vacuum hose on the inlet on the pump and tied the output hose to the top rail so that would be splashing and aerating as well. It filled over night and this morning Ph was up to 7.8, so I lowered it with about 16 oz of muriatic acid, which brought Ph down to 7.2, but TA is still well over 300. Continuing to aerate and slowly lower the TA.

I haven't run the SWG yet, since pool school on SWG water balance says "Get TA down to 60-80 (THIS IS IMPORTANT). So my question is, how important? Do I need to chlorinate with bleach and leave the SWG off until I can get the TA down. I'm guessing this is going to take several weeks at this current rate.

Is there anything else I can do to get TA down faster?

I also am hoping to add some borates to the water too, but I guess those boxes of borax are going to sit and wait until TA is under control.

Thanks for any help and advise.

And I've read enough other posts to know you will ask, so I'm testing with the 92905 HTH 6-way test kit, which looks to have all the same style tests of the TF-100 except the FAS-DPD test, so I ordered a Taylor K-1515-A to get the FAS-DPD, it will be delivered next week.

Also, the water is currently 60 degrees if that makes any difference. And while filling I added about 9 oz of tricholor to get the FC up initially before allowing the SWG to maintain levels. I also added an additional 60 oz of dry stabilizer (the pool math calculator had me at about 8000 gallons which made me overdose CYA even when I thought I was being conservatively under. I've sencie verified it's 6423 gallons from the manufacturer). I'm hoping roudy kids splashing will help me get CYA down without actually having to intentionally drain. Tested CYA and it's at 90 now.

Alright, with very high TA and mildly high CH it is very important to not let PH get above 7.6. I also recommend holding off a little on using the SWG, as you are very likely to get calcium scaling inside the SWG with these levels. Things will be much better when TA comes down below 200, at which point PH can go up to 7.8 and it should be alright to run the SWG. Though you will still need to be careful that PH never goes above 7.8.

Once you start running the SWG, the PH will tend to go up fairly quickly as long as TA is fairly high. So keep an eye on PH.

Well with that disappointing news, it's time for ghetto aerator 2.0.
2udyquty.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.