LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2013
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Main pump stopped working today (UPDATED 11/13/17)

My main recirculating pump stopped working this morning (it is the 1HP Emerson pump in my sig line below). This pump is somewhere in the age range of 3 - 4 years old. If the pump needs replaced, this will be either the 4th or 5th main pump this pool will need in its 15 years of operation. It should also be noted this pump sits on the west end of our house and does receive a good deal of direct sunlight for about six to seven hours each day.

I heard some odd noises outside this morning (which may or may not have been coming from the pump) - I really can't say for sure but I do know this pump is still very hot to the touch (touching the black pump casing).

1. It sure seems like I am going through a LOT of pool pumps. Should I be more protective of the pumps - i.e provide more shade for them?
  2. Based on what little I have read, I think the pump is sitting sufficiently off the ground so it does not sit in water.
  3. How hard is it to replace a pump? I do not consider myself much of a do it yourself'er so my first reaction is to have someone else do this - especially since we are dealing with electricity.
  4. I believe my pool place has used rebuilt motors in the past to keep the cost lower. Is using a rebuilt pump motor a good idea?
  5. Should I consider using an electrician INSTEAD OF using the pool place for this repair?

Thanks all for any thoughts you may have on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 62
Those are all great questions and something for all of us to ponder. My pump is nine years old and, while it may go out today, it sounds exactly like it did nine years ago. Never a single problem. It is completely sheltered 365 days a year. So, Yes, I do think protection from ALL the elements is a very big deal.

1. All pool pumps run hot to the touch (probably not the new VS). Being in full sun certainly doesn't help but they all run hotter than one would think they should anyway.

2. It could be a bit higher (thanks for the pics) but it is likely sufficient. Shelter would help this, too.

3. Let an electrician install it.....money well spent.

4. Don't have an opinion on rebuilt vs new.

5. See 3 above.

Personally not a fan of rebuilt. The quality is dependent on the tech doing the rebuild.

Based on 3 above - let an electrician do the motor replacement.

That said if you do the research and have the new motor on hand you will be ahead of the game.

2 speed could save you a bunch on day to day operation.

Personally I am a fan of the century brand motors, particularly the b2xxx or b2xxxt versions (aka 2 green for the t version). I've not had one fail on me yet ( 2 houses with 2 pools) knock on wood. This is the 2nd Emerson failure this week I have seen posted, small sample set but...

Shelter helps, just make sure it "breathes"

Note you will need a motor and a "go kit" with the gaskets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas Duraleigh and Karmabiker.

Let me ask you this - does the model matter if I have to replace the pump?
Keeping in mind this is an Emerson pump, are there any brands that would NOT fit the opening (the connection point, the area noted by the yellow circle and pointed to by the yellow arrow)?

Sorry I am not more technically precise with my language here....

Once I know what brand/model(s) can work here, would y'all have any brand/model(s) recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_0648i.jpg
    IMG_0648i.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 51
On the road - can't look in detail but the motor is Emerson. Challenger will have a replacement that fits.

The pump brand is on the cream colored part on the left of the photo. That is what we are interested in.

The labels on the pump have considerably faded but it appears to be a Purex Triton WhisperFlo High Performance Pump. Model Number WF2x0 (I can't read the numbers on the silver label as they are faded). I think the model number is WF240. This label says 1 HP as well.

Does that provide enough info?

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 50
Here is pictures of the power box - it has manual timers on it (currently set at approx 7 am and approx midnight).
This is the only source of timing or automation on this system.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 49
B2841 looks like a direct 1 speed replacement

B2982t would give you a 2 speed with the timer attached to the motor.

If you have 230v out there I would do the b2982t.

You will also need a go kit for the seals. Pool supply world and inyopools both have good reputations around here. They should be able to point you at the right go kit.

I think this is it:
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00500005003532.htm

The electrician may only want to handle the electrical connection end of things, I would ask to make sure they will help with the mechanics of the wet end of the pump. Or find a friend that is handy and buy them a 6 pack :)

Edit - both of those motor model numbers are century brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That should do the trick. It is an energy efficient motor as well. It won't save as much on run time as a 2 speed, but it will save you some over the old motor.

Don't forget the go kit.

Re: Main pump stopped working today AGAIN!

Well, three years and five months later here I am again with another motor failure. Geez.

First or all, it seems like I am getting a consistently short life span out of every motor I've had on my pool in about 17 years (or so) of pool ownership. I want to note that time length because I'm wondering if it may be time for a different solution here. Let me start though with what has happened to the current motor.

If you check out the two attached pics, the buildup on the motor itself seems to be much more pronounced than the last failure (it too has photos earlier in this thread). Does that corrosion (or whatever it is) suggest possible culprit?

Attachments

• pump - back view.jpg
    pump - back view.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 28
  • pump - side view.jpg
    pump - side view.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 26
My second question is this - has the time come (remember 17 year old pool) that I should be looking at replacing BOTH the pump and motor? I know I'm increasing the cost by doing this but I'm at my wits end replacing pumps every 3 - 4 years. I should note this pump runs from March to November (12 or more hours per day) and in some winters has been left running longer than that (depending on the temperature here in Central Arkansas).

I should also note that prior to this motor failure, when the motor shut down at night (for the night), after a few seconds suction would be lost along the line. An audible hiss would be heard, the pump basket would slowly start to drain away and eventually the basket was left with water trickling in from the return line.

Just over a year ago, we did build a shelter for the pump and filter to minimize direct sun and provide a heat source in the winter (via the dark tarp on the sides of the structure).

I know I'm throwing this out there in a haphazard manner, but please bare with me as I clean up these two posts for accuracy. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Just save the headache and get a new Pump. If there is any way you can get a VS it dropped my electric bill by $80 a month. Pays for it self in about a year. And in some areas the power company will give you a rebate for going VS. In my area it is $250

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.