Intelliflow-DE filter-salt cell-automatic cleaner help!

-Greg-

Mar 25, 2008
Palm Springs, CA.
So the transition over to the hopefully energy saving intelliflow VS-3050 has been anything but good. To begin with we removed the Jandy stealth main pump and polaris booster pump, replaced the main pump with a intelliflow vs with the hopes of helping out our $400 a month electric bill. Week one we noticed that the raised spa spillway was not spilling over, resulting in the spa not circulating and algae forming. The weekly testing of the water showed no chlorine present as well. Week two we went out of town for 5 days, came back and the cover on the pentair 48sq. ft. DE filter had a large crack in it, and the water was down about a foot in the pool, and the bottom of the pool is now stained (no circulation). So far my conclusions are as follows:

1. Pump does not provide enough circulation for the salt cell to be effective, we are having to supplement with pouring liquid chlorine in the pool. (Not happy with this at all!)

2. In order to have circulation in the spa, the PB changed the parameters in the intelliflow pool data entry to have just enough flow to spill over, this results in the pump running at a higher rpm. (defeats the purpose of the energy savings)

3. The intelliflow does not work with the DE filter, within two days of backflushing, the filter "clogs", resulting in no flow over the spa spillway. When I backwash, the media that comes out is not even dirty. Also, if I let the backwashing go for 3-4 days, the pump compensates for the "restriction" and ramps up the flow rate, pressure then goes up in the filter (this is what I assume cracked the filter housing).

4. We (PB and myself) have not found a automatic suction side cleaner that works on the low flow rate, we even had the pentair rep tell us that the great white will work on 25 gpm, well I have one in the pool now, he is correct about is "working" on the low pressure, however I have to turn off the bottom drain suction, and the 2nd skimmer suction, just to get the cleaner to move, then on the low pressure, the cleaner only stays in the deep end, and only cleans a small area. (Not a good solution)

My options as I see them are as follows:
1. I saved the "old" pump and polaris 280 and booster pump, I am thinking of just going back to where I was to start with (which was an extremely satisfied pool owner with a virtually maintenance free pool, except for the extra $100 plus a month bill). Brushing the pool a couple of times a week, and vacuuming once a week is getting very old! My PB even gave me a large pentair cartrige filter which I have built up on a cart with my "old" pool pump to use as an external filter/vacuum. The downside of course is our electricity costs are only going to go up (another 6% bump is coming this year), the $400 and up electric bills are killing us!

2. Leave the intelliflow installed, change out the DE filter to a cartridge filter, install the polaris booster pump and polaris 280. My fear with this setup would be that with the decreased circulation and water flow in the pool, the sand/dirt would just settle back on the bottom and not be filtered. Also, I still would have to supplement the chlorine, not to mention I hated cleaning the last cartridge filters!

3. Install the original pump, but purchase a good suction side cleaner. At least in this version the DE filter and salt cell would once again function correctly, eliminating the need for adding supplemental chlorine. I would save the $20-$30 a month from the booster pump, however I would still need to brush and vacuum weekly.

I am at my witts end! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks..

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0202_2.jpg
    IMG_0202_2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0203_2.jpg
    IMG_0203_2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 192
You need to select an appropriate motor speed on the IntelliFlo such that the SWG will continue to work. That may well mean turning it up above it lowest speed. Even so there will still be substantial electric savings.

Nothing about the IntelliFlo, or running at a low speed, will cause the DE filter to clog. The only two issues I know of are that a DE filter needs a medium or higher speed to coat the grids while you are adding DE and that lower speeds result in better filtering. Better filtering might result in more dirt getting caught in the filter and more frequent cleaning of the filter until your water gets cleared up, but that is a good thing.

The pool cleaner issue is a little more involved. The only complete solution is an automation system that changes the valve settings and possibly the motor speed to turn on and off the automatic cleaner on some schedule.

I had to go through a learning curve when setting up my VF pump for everything to work properly. I'm running a cartridge/de filter and swg with zero issues. I suspect your PB isn't familiar with properly setting up a variable speed or variable flow pump. Mine wasn't. My local Pentair rep didn't figure it out either. I would employ automatic valves along with set speeds to run the features you want. For example, normal filter mode would be "y" flow path "x" rpm. For spa mode, "yy" flow path and "xx" rpm and cleaner mode "yyy" flow path and "xxx" rpm. You shouldn't need a booster for a pressure side cleaner. I run a Legend II with my intelliflo at about 600-700 watts and 15gpm. But all flow is diverted to a dedicated line. It sounds like your plumbing is not conducive to benefitting from an intelliflo vs or vf pump, at least not without modifications. I wouldn't give up yet. 1000's of people are saving big $$$ running these pumps. Maybe you need to find a different PB who knows how to address your specific issues. I ended up soliciting help from TFP as well as Pentair pump engineer. Once I understood how and why the pump was acting the way it was I made adjustments and now all is well. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the advice, I have been in contact with a somewhat local pool guy (recommend by a member) who is very knowledgeable in the programming of the intelliflow, however to begin with I need to decide how much more money I want to throw at this. He is recommending I switch out my Pentair 4048 for a Quad DE 100, and then I still need to add a Jandy 3 way valve and JVA 2440 actuator (so that I can keep my polaris 280), and a intellicom controller, all add up to another $1500 or so. Anyway, again thanks for the advice, I will let you know how everything works out!

Greg

Thanks cmitch525 for the grand comments!! The "programmer" had already helped me tremendously! Added 5 more hours to my run time, enabled the "MO FLO" feature to circulate the spa for 10 minutes every 4 hrs. and added conditioner to help the swg function correctly. I am getting prices on the Quad DE 100, jandy valve and actuator, and a re-build kit for my check valve.

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.