Pump water flow & filtration??

May 21, 2014
Westport, MA
Does the water have to have a minimum flow in order to accommodate proper filtration?
I recently changed to a VS pump, and I was curious if this running at a lower rpm (to save energy)
will have an impact on the filtration of the water?

Thanks

So as long as I am getting flow to the returns, then my filtration will be good even though I am running at low speeds?
With regard to backwashing, I have a DE filter that has a bump handle.... I bump it down every so often, so should I boost up the
speed when doing that, and then go back to the lower rpm for the motor to work less?
Thanks for the input, I am brand new to VS pump!!!

You need a fairly high speed to coat the grids on a DE filter. High speed should be used during the initial charging with DE and again right after each bump.

Regular filtering on very low speeds is fine. When picking an appropriate low speed you want to make sure the skimmer(s) are still skimming efficiently, and you probably don't want a speed below 1,000 RPM, as most of the VS pumps are most efficient around 1,000 RPM.

Ok great.....Thank You.......
Is there a way to figure the turn-over for the pool..... I am thinking that once in a 24 hr period, or is that inaccurate??
Also, I am assuming that a high speed is required for vacuuming as well.
Thanks again, this is a great resource for pool owners.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.