Thanks in advance for help, here we go.

Kellychaison

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Montpelier, Virginia
Hi, My name is Doug and I live in Montpelier, Virginia in the middle of the woods and it has been a busy pollen season.

My pool is an inground 40,000 gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter, was built in 1976. Filtration system seems like it is running ok. I have been using Leslies Pool since I bought the house in 2005. The pool had not been used in 5 years when I bought it. Took out all the mud, leaves and reptiles and put in a new liner myself, fixed plumbing issues and put in a new pump. Last week I said enough was enough I have had it dealing with leslies Pool, selling me product I did not need and giving me lousy advice. I am so glad you all are here :) I did use an leslies opening kit this year like I always do. took water samples down, did what they told me but still had algae issues and cloudyness. So I bought myself a Taylor test kit and here I am. Yesterday I slammed my pool and here are the numbers this morning.

FC 3
TC 5
CC 2
PH 7.2
TA 160
CYA 80

I was amazed how much Chlorine was used up last night. So I need help continuing this process. The pool is a lot less green this morning but still very milky. I am trying to upload picture but your web site keeps telling me it has failed.

In the beginning you'll use a lot of chlorine. It's doing it's job ! Your FC level needs to be 31 or a tick or two higher for the SLAM process. Maintain that level as best you can. The longer the FC is at SLAM level the quicker the process goes. You've already got it to change color, you just have to maintain the SLAM level, back wash filter when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure and brush. It'll take sometime to clear, but it will if you follow the process to the T. ?

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You have a good grasp on how to clear your pool.
Yesterday I slammed my pool
I want to emphasize a point....YOu started the SLAM but have not finished. When you get a chance, re-read the article and pay close attention to KEEPING the FC at SLAM value and then knowing when you are finished.

Again, you've got the idea....just stick with the PROCESS until you are complete.

Great, So I still have a half bucket of Chorline tabs. should I still use them or maybe use them once the pool is 100%? Is their a reason why I cant upload a picture to your site?

STOP using the tabs! They are adding CYA and you are already high at 80. Use bleach/liquid chlorine for the SLAM.

You might want to lower the CYA before the SLAM to 50ish.

Go to "Forum Issues" and see the sticky tutorial on uploading pics. Best to use a free hosting site like PhotoBucket.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Welcome, Doug! :wave:

Be sure to thank the clerk at Leslies for driving your CYA level up to 80. Just to keep a clear pool clear, you'll need to keep Free Chlorine above 6 all the time.

To kill the algae off faster than it can reproduce, you'll need to take FC up to 31. And with a pool your size, that means massive amounts of bleach.

attachment.php

It might be simpler to drain off some water and refill to lower that CYA number, but if you're on a well, that brings its own problems. You know your situation and I don't.

Just keep hitting that pool with bleach the way it says to in the SLAM instructions. Brush until your shoulders ache. Scrub all the hiding places like steps and lights and ladders and the skimmer mouth.

You can keep the tabs, for much later on, when your CYA level is such that you have that luxury. They will keep until then. For now, follow the process, you need to Maintain the FC at the level dictated by the CYA level. You may choose to dump some water and replace to lower the CYA level and thus the FC level required.

You have been given great advice so far. I just wanted to jump in and say that you can manage it with high CYA, but you have to stay on top of it. You may need Richard's tanker for the slam, but once it's clear just maintain the correct level. I started with CYA 200+ thanks to the previous owner of my home. I'm down to right around 100 and maintain a clear pool with that level. After a couple,of,weeks testing every day you will learn the basic CL appetite of your pool. Now I only test CL every few days and a full test at least once a week.

As has been advised, no more tabs. Like you I have leftovers and only plan to use them when I'm away and can't add the bleach to keep,the pool fed.

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:
I am on a well and can add water back up slowly. How much do you think I need to dump out? Really a wet season this year so right now perfect time to do it water table high. My horse's love the smell of the chlorinated water ( not ) as it runs down the woods. Yep done with the tabs thanks for the advice on that. I will figure out the photo thing later as I am sure you guys will want to see the snapping turtle that visited our pool last week! But right now I need to go scrub my pool till my arms ache! The pool has been a real stress for me this last week, thanks so much for helping me out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so when water table is high there is pressure on the pool and if you take level down too fast the pressure decreases too fast?
Close, sped is not the issue. Take it down too far, i.e. not sufficient weight of water in the pool pushing down to resist the upward pressure of the high water table. I am in a similar situation. My house is the low lot in the area - water naturally flows underground to my lot from the surrounding area. After a heavy rain water will actually push up through my driveway due to the high underground pressure. I only take my pool down 8 - 12 inches before I start getting nervous. Lowering my CYA will be a long process.

There are other options such as adding water to the bottom of the dep end while removing water from the top of the shallow end at the same time. With the pump off this method removes upper level warmer water as the newer colder water stays near the bottom. I have yet to try this method but am considering it.

Just be aware that a high water table should be taken into account when draining.

Last edited:
Thanks really good to know. Our water table just like yours. Especially worrisome since this pool is older and our horses have caused some erosion of land next to pool just from being horses. Another question I want to put out there is this stuff called Leslie Ultra bright. It is a blue liquid and I have seen it sold in different places under different names. Its included in their opening kit and I did put it in the pool when I did my opening earlier this month. Does it effect water quality/readings etc...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.