What does everyone use to measure out bleach? I'd prefer not to eyeball.

Scice77

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2014
Central Jersey
This might have an obvious answer, but I don't know it. When adding smaller amounts of bleach to the pool, do you guys measure it first or just eyeball it? For instance the bleach comes in 121 oz jugs and I need to add 2 Qts, 6 oz. Is there a recommended measuring pitcher to buy? I've seen some around, but they are food grade and kind of pricey. I'm still new to the method and I'm trying to be as precise as possible until I get a good handle of things. Thanks in advance.

I use a 1 quart plastic measuring cup. If I need more than a quart like when I'm using 8.25% bleach , I usually need more than a quart, so I measure it out and dump it in a bucket then the pool. ?

A one or two quart plastic measuring cup works well (it's what I've used for years). We have a rule at our house where glass measuring cups are used for food and plastic measuring cups are for chemicals. Eliminates the risk of any cross-contamination.

I know you want to be precise, but the larger the pool is the easier it is to eyeball these sort of things. With a small pool an error of a few ounces can be the difference between success and total destruction, with a larger pool it is often just a matter of slightly over or undershooting your target, which tends to average out over time.

Ike

I'm with Issac on this one but if you really want to be precise, at those large volumes, food service quality pitchers may be your only option. Rubbermaid Commercial and Cambro come to mind, but you're right...they can be a little pricey. You'll likely need to go to a restaurant supply to find one.

I use a polycarbonate 1qt. pitcher from Walmart. Works fine for me and the price was right.

Thanks everyone, that all makes sense. I guess I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some special piece of equipment I was missing. I'm sure if I go to Leslie's they will have something overpriced for me to use that will do the same thing as a Wal-Mart special. Kinda like I used to use an old coffee can for my D.E. Years back, I switched over to a Keurig, never bought a can of coffee again and had to buy a D.E. scoop for $7 when my last can rusted out........

I use a 2 quart container, or red solo cups.
I'll use the 2 quart container for the chlorine/bleach. Use red solo cups for muriatic acid when lowering the PH. It normally takes about 3 cups (larger red solo cup) to go from 7.9 to 7.4.

OXO 32 oz plastic measuring cup, the kind where you can read the levels while looking down into the cup. Though, right now I'm doing 32 oz of 8.25 a night, don't really need to look at it. Just fill it up.

I would like to get to a place where I can just dump a whole 121 bottle in every 3rd day or whatever, but I lose FC too fast for that, I'd probably bottom out.

2 quarts, 32oz cups? I just use a cheap measuring cup from walmart that holds one cup. Maybe I need to upgrade. Sometimes I measure and sometimes I eyeball. When you get used to your pool you will feel more comfortable about eyeballing it as far as bleach goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a pitcher from the dollar store that has markings every 16 oz up to 64oz (2qts) . Works out nice for my size of pool, where every 16 oz basically is 1ppm FC rise.

Can always buy any plastic pitcher and fill it with certain amount and make your own marks with a sharpie.

Well, after plenty of advice here, this is what I came up with. Bought it at the dollar store, used my wife's measuring cup with water to measure and make marks and so far it's working fine. Don't worry, the bottom was green when I bought it, it's not some weird reaction to bleach. Thanks everyone for the tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Ooops, here the pic.
View attachment 30249

Attachments

• 20140604_171528.jpg
    20140604_171528.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.