Why the sock?

BillB

Aug 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I'm wondering the purpose of using a sock to add CYA.

I used a sock the first time I added CYA.
I put the sock in the skimmer and it was empty in a couple of days.

I added another two pounds a couple of months ago and poured the CYA directly in the skimmer- no problems.

I read somewhere that dissolving the granules through the sock is supposed to prevent clogging the plumbing.

That never made sense to me. The CYA will not harden when trapped in the sock. It remains a powder as it dissolves.
Why would it harden in the pipes?

If I'm overlooking something, I'll stand corrected.

Thanks

The main reason for the sock is so that you know when it is dissolved. Also, if you let it into the filter, then you do not know when it is safe to clean the filter without losing some of the undissolved CYA.

And we have seen a few supposed cases of the skimmer getting clogged by pouring it in, likely too fast.

I've found that it dissolves much faster when hanging in front of a return in a sock. About 2-4 hrs for 2-3 pounds vs a couple of days in the skimmer basket. I don't have to run the pump as long non stop when using the sock in front of the return.

Without the sock it is quite possible for the CYA to accumulate in the pump skimmer basket and either break the basket or stave the pump of water. This isn't the most likely possibility, but it does happen. The sock contains it and allows there to always be a way for the water to get around the CYA and reach the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.