How to make old deck match new pool ?

Pictures might be necessary to get proper advice.

Ok. I just looked at your pics in your previous thread. It wont be easy but is probably doable and will require adding and replacing a little wood. Your outer joists on the left and right of the picture after you removed your old pool need to be lengthened/replaced and then you will have to frame between them, braced to the existing 4x4's and probably replace the decking boards leading out to the new joists.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue when i was installing my pool up to my existing deck. One we built the retaining wall i could only get the new pool into approximately 1ft of my deck. My soulution was to build 3 separate sections which i then bolted threw the existing front deck facial which i also secured a little better once i knew my plan.

It was much easier to install in section versus one 35' run. This just created a 1' cantilever deck to reach my pool edge. It worked very well for the last 4 seasons.

The pictures below you can see the distance i had to make up and the small deck bards i added to the new cantilever area.

Depends, does your deck boards run same direction as the pool side its on, at 90* angle?
If running same, I would look at screwing on a triangular block every 24" along the front edge with a screw into the front header in the bottom and then again from the top. Make these from a 2"x12'. Then that would allow you to lay a 2"x12" on top of them, thereby enclosing the gap.

I have this to deal with !
4923485d4d45ac70a905a8639f072402_zpsf91be372.jpg

I have this to deal with !
4923485d4d45ac70a905a8639f072402_zpsf91be372.jpg

It's hard to tell in the picture...but the pool looks lower than the existing deck by 4"-5", is that the case?

I can tell you that if you add on to the existing 2x6 framing to make a 1' extension, you will need to add vertical supports down to the ground on the new part close to the pool or you will need to add angled braces back down to your support 4x4's to help support the addition.

If the pool lip is lower than the existing deck you could build a drop deck and trim it out nicely so it it's like a step down. This option would look good. I'd do this by running new floor joists under the existing floor joists and perpendicular to the existing floor joists. These new joists would stick out from under the existing joists the 1' towards the pool and would need to run under the existing deck 3'-4' attaching to each joists with 2x6 blocking. This will give you a secure platform to attach new deck boards. You will also need blocking between the new joists where the new and old meet so you have something to screw the ends of the new short deck boards too. It would still be a good idea to add some diagonal supports just for good measure. I know this may be hard to understand. Not really an easy way to describe it.

ETA...I tried to find a picture/diagram to show you and this was as close as I could get for your situation. Your existing joists will be running opposite this picture, but you should get the idea.

Then if you trim it out it will look similar to this...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.