How do i remove fitting on filter?

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
I have a Pentair DE filter. I am trying to remove the PVC fitting that goes into the manifold on the filter. It is very tight and when I try to turn it the manifold flexes. It just unscrews doesn't it? I though the pool guy that installed it, 8 years ago, would have just used Teflon paste, that's what it looks like. How can I get it off without breaking the manifold?

skeeter

Ok the problem is I cut off the pipe right at the end of the 1 1/2" street elbow which is screwed into a 1 1/2" to 2" reducer pvc fitting which is then screwed into the manifold on the filter. I grabbed the street elbow with pliers to try and turn it but it would not budge. I even tried to turn the reducer fitting with pliers but no go. The manifold starts to twist and deform.

skeeter

Ok the problem is I cut off the pipe right at the end of the 1 1/2" street elbow which is screwed into a 1 1/2" to 2" reducer pvc fitting which is then screwed into the manifold on the filter. I grabbed the street elbow with pliers to try and turn it but it would not budge. I even tried to turn the reducer fitting with pliers but no go. The manifold starts to twist and deform.

skeeter
Yes, because it's glued in. Stop before you break it.

Saw off the street elbow and the reducer. Install a coupler on the outside of the manifold stub, then use reducers and a new elbow and whatever to rebuild.

I agree with Richard. Measure the OUtside Diameter of the black manifold and see if you can install a larger pipe coupling on it.

It looks glued. The manifold body would be much larger if it was a female thread.

If you truly think it is threaded get a strap wrench or pipe wrench to hold the black manifold side and to help prevent deformation. Then use another wrench for the PVC piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measured the outside diameter of the manifold inlet at 2 3/4". I checked at HomeDepot and they don't carry any fittings that size. They go from 2" which has an inside diameter of 2 3/8" to a 3" fitting that has an 3 1/2" inside diameter. Thye don't carry anything in between.

skeeter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did use a micrometer. 2.751". I need a inside diameter of 2.750 or 2 3/4". The 2 1/2" list a inside diameter of 2.445". Also Pentair does not list the outside portion of the inlet pipe dimensions leading me to believe it should not be used as a connection point. The Pentair site also list the inside connection point to be a slip connection. Which means it is glued in.

I also looked at maybe using a slip over the street elbow but no pvc fitting matches the outside diameter of it.

I think I may be screwed and have to buy a new manifold.

skeeter

I did use a micrometer. 2.751". I need a inside diameter of 2.750 or 2 3/4". The 2 1/2" list a inside diameter of 2.445". Also Pentair does not list the outside portion of the inlet pipe dimensions leading me to believe it should not be used as a connection point. The Pentair site also list the inside connection point to be a slip connection. Which means it is glued in.

I also looked at maybe using a slip over the street elbow but no pvc fitting matches the outside diameter of it.

I think I may be screwed and have to buy a new manifold.

skeeter
That would be my conclusion, too. Maybe upgrade to a multiport valve so you have the waste option?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.