In ground pool concrete decking sizing/configuration?

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
Hi all, so glad to find this forum as I'm getting so much information from everyone's posts. We are soon to be new pool owners after years of discussing it.

We are installing a 16' x 43' fiberglass sport pool, roman shape. We have a very large deck off the back of the house and will be placing the pool (long edge) 13' from the deck. It will have a 4' wide concrete walkway from the deck steps to the pool decking.

My questions are...

1. Why do most people put the larger decking space closest to the house? I was thinking it should be on the far side of the pool so when you are sitting there you are looking across the pool to the deck and anyone on it. Plus your less likely to have shadow from the house.

2. How much decking and what should the configuration be? I was thinking 4' wide on three sides and larger on the fourth to accommodate loungers. As I see it all eating and non pool socializing would be on the deck.

We want to minimize the investment in pool decking at this time, figuring we can add on later once we recover from the construction cost of the pool, fence, privacy landscaping.

Love to hear what those of you who have lived with a pool for awhile think...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will chime in with my thoughts...

Hi all, so glad to find this forum as I'm getting so much information from everyone's posts. We are soon to be new pool owners after years of discussing it.

We are installing a 16' x 43' fiberglass sport pool, roman shape. We have a very large deck off the back of the house and will be placing the pool (long edge) 13' from the deck. It will have a 4' wide concrete walkway from the deck steps to the pool decking.

My questions are...

1. Why do most people put the larger decking space closest to the house? I was thinking it should be on the far side of the pool so when you are sitting there you are looking across the pool to the deck and anyone on it. Plus your less likely to have shadow from the house.
A matter of conveneince. Most of the time I dont have a whole deck full of folks to entertain and look at. I like walking right out of my backdoor and able to hang out in a loung chair or whatever. Quick access to the kitchen too! On the opposite side of my pool, is landscaped. I like looking across the water and see the landscape.

2. How much decking and what should the configuration be? This is a very persoanl choice. Most folks say to get as much as you can afford. It IS too hard to come back later and do it again, and will be more expensive to add on than to do it along with all the rest. LOTs more expensive! I was thinking 4' wide on three sides and larger on the fourth to accommodate loungers. Mine is 4 ft wide all around with the big part on one side. Personally, I would not want it any narrower than 4, but opinions may vary. As I see it all eating and non pool socializing would be on the deck. Yup.

We want to minimize the investment in pool decking at this time, figuring we can add on later once we recover from the construction cost of the pool, fence, privacy landscaping. comment above.

Love to hear what those of you who have lived with a pool for awhile think...
I love my pool and the way I did mine. I walk out the back door and Im in a lounge chair (not pictured) My covered patio right out my backdoor is about 175 sq ft. a 4x6 "walkway" takes you to the "pool patio" which is about 400 sq ft.
4 ft wide all around, exposed aggragate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk