Hayward multiport valve issue I think

Jul 14, 2013
Matawan, NJ
Opened pool yesterday and let pump run all night. Just shut pump off a little while ago and put multiport into backwash mode and immediately my cheap blue hose popped up so I shut the pump off. I fixed the hose and tried to start over but I couldn't get it to backwash. No water coming out. When I turn the valve to filter I get nothing. Only setting that seems to work is waste. Do I have a bad valve? The spider was changed last season could it be worn or dislodged?

Thanks

The multiport seems to be fine. No signs of wear on gasket no leaking etc.. Could it be my pump? The only setting that works is the waste mode? Does the pump actually work in that mode? Or is the water gravity fed since my pool is highe up? This is crazy! I'm stumped.

Help us more. Do you have an AG pool or IG? Is there water in the pump strainer basket (pump running)when you are on filter?

Is the pump strainer basket full of water when you are running on waste?

Help us more. Do you have an AG pool or IG? Is there water in the pump strainer basket (pump running)when you are on filter?

Is the pump strainer basket full of water when you are running on waste?

Inground pool. 25000 gal
Pump strainer basket is full of water at all times. Impeller in pump spins freely. Filter gauge pressure at 0
Water is not circulating in basket so no movement from what I see this morning in filter mode. This all started yesterday when I tried to back wash and hosed popped off so I stopped the pump reattached the hose and put it back on and got nothing. My pool was extremely dirty when I opened it yesterday. Blue water but a lot of sediment on walls and bottom. My plan was let it run overnight and backwash in the morning. My 2 skimmers were loaded with junk and barely sucking the next morning. Pressure on gauge was at about 20 normally around 12-13. I also cleaned out the pump strainer basket and then that's when the problems started.

Also just noticed pump works in recirculate . Would it make sense to let it run in recirculate to at least get movement to it until I figure this out

Would it make sense to let it run in recirculate to at least get movement to it until I figure this out
It doesn't hurt but doesn't help much, either.

If your impeller spins when power is applied (as in recirculate), moving the multiport to "backwash" should be irrelevant to good flow. Let me understand a bit better.

All these please with pump running....

1. What is the psi when running waste?

2. What is the psi when running recirc?

3. What is the psi when running filter?

4. psi goes to zero when the pump is off....correct?

5. You are shutting off pump completely when switching position with the multiport handle....correct?

Well, that is not very revealing. :scratch:

Backwash of 30 psi would indicate no (or VERY little) flow through the filter......however, you report it is in fact working just fine.

Recirc and waste should have SOME indication (2-5 psi) but not zero

O psi when in filter position indicates the flow is plugged before it ever gets to the filter

The answer is simple, but I cannot make sense of the indicators. Perhaps someone else can help us gain insight.

Well, that is not very revealing. :scratch:

Backwash of 30 psi would indicate no (or VERY little) flow through the filter......however, you report it is in fact working just fine.

Recirc and waste should have SOME indication (2-5 psi) but not zero

O psi when in filter position indicates the flow is plugged before it ever gets to the filter

The answer is simple, but I cannot make sense of the indicators. Perhaps someone else can help us gain insight.

I have someone with a bit more experience with pool equipment coming by tomorrow to take a look. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your help !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am up and running again, I knew it had something to do with the multiport valve. I decided to open my filter up and chk the grids and do a quick look around. Everything looked great. So I removed the entire canister from the piping and looked inside where the Mv connects to the filter and turned the valve a couple times and everything looked fine. Put everything back together and voila! Everything is working again. I guess I was restricted somewhere but didn't see anything major besides all the little seedlings from the birch trees which are falling like crazy right now so some past through I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.