Spell checker

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
The spell check function has apparently disappeared with the recent upgrade. Although the forms window where we type in the message does still recognize misspellings, we no longer have the opportunity to run a spell checker before we post.

MMQ suggested we use the spell checker in the Google toolbar. Great idea! But for those of us on a Macintosh it's not useful. That particular feature of the Google toolbar is only offered to Windows users. Maybe Google figured Mac users are already so smart, they don't need a spell checker :)

Their've bin a couple of messichis in the passed from Sean and/or the Mods with remindurrs to run the spel checker bee4 submitting a post. Is it possible to reactivate that feeture?

The spell checker we had, and which is the only one still available, is simply not very good. It allowed all sorts of miss-spellings through and had a VERY limited dictionary. It was more trouble than it was worth so it was not added this time.

If you are a mac user, using Safari, try this (found it on a mac forum):

When you're typing your reply, highlight a word or selection. Hold down the Control key and click on it – you'll get a menu.
Check the options halfway down that menu.
Spelling>Check Spelling As You Type

Let me know if that works.

Sean

Thanks for the explanation and the Safari tip, Sean.

I just realized that the Mac version of FireFox 3.0 has a spellchecker built in.

1. Open Preferences.
2. Click on the Advanced tab.
3. Put a check mark in Check my spelling as I type.

FF will underline a misspelled word with a dotted red line, which explains why it complained at me when I got a little creative with 'buoyancy' in another post.

When it points out a misspelling, put the cursor anywhere inside the word, press the Ctrl key and right click. Up comes a window with a number of suggested words and the option to add your version of the word to the Dictionary. Mac users will know how to edit their dictionaries.

Nothing to install! I saw where the Google toolbar will do all sorts of tracking and keeping tabs on where you've been and where you're going, plus ever so much more helpful invasiveness.

I love my Mac!

No, of course you don't hate your PC. You just haven't yet worked on a real computer :)

Google does offer some very nice services. We plan many of our camping trips into areas unknown to us by using G-Earth and the topo maps to find routes and select campgrounds. Used within certain (personal) limitations Google is a fine tool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SeanB said:
Well, I guess I've gone over to the dark side... I orderd an iMac - should arrive tomorrow.

I'm not getting rid of my pc's though and am going to install vmfusion and XP on the mac. The best of both worlds!

Awesome! I use a power book but have it set up with a full keyboard, monitor and mouse when I'm not on the road with it...hands down one of the best computers I've ever used.

Hope you're using an extra copy of XP, my guess is you'll find you hardly use the XP on the mini...maybe try starting out with just the Mac OS to save HD space, you know how much windoze likes to control your harddrive :)

I have to find out what the usage rules are for XP. I have a copy but it will remain in use - don't know if it can be on more than one machine in the same household.

I've already purchased vmfusion though so all I'll need is the XP and I can get an OEM copy from newegg.com for not too much.

Congrats on the new addition and welcome to the world of real computers!

We did not install a Windows OS on the Macs, primarily because we didn't want to go with anything higher then 98 for security reasons, and Parallels didn't want to install the fresh copy of 98 we offered it. I kept one of the Win98 laptops around so I can print Christmas labels.

You know, folks who switch from PCs to Macs are sort of like folks who switch from pool stores to BBB. There's an unmistakable convert fervor :)

Real computers? Let's not start bashing. Lot's of people, including me, love their pc's.

The iMac is a nice machine, but I wouldn't count on me abandoning my pc. I'll be using my Vista notebook everyday too. The truth is, if they hadn't added the ability to run both opreating systems, along with the availability of MS Office for Mac, I would not have considered the Mac at all.

I believe XP is based on the 2000 NT platform which was far more stable than 98 - Now, that I hated. XP was a huge improvement. Vista is great for graphics, but still a little buggy.

For those us who do not and cannot install a browser add-on or toolbar to check spelling, it would be more than just convenient to have a spell-check function built in to the BBS' message edit window. A number of solutions are promoted at http://www.phpbb.com/ (Can't remember how I found them but you can search the support forum there for "spell check" etc.) that could be incorporated into this forum.

chem geek suggested that there is a red underline beneath misspelled words, but I can't replicate this behavior with my IE8 browser.

polyvue said:
chem geek said:
polyvue said:
Ps thars no spellr chekn' en thes board. Sory. hafta use Word er sumthen else.
Actually, all of the misspelled words have a red dotted underline when posting or editing a reply.
Richard, I wonder what I'm doing wrong... I don't see any red dotted underline. When does this occur (in preview, Post a reply edit box... somewhere else?) I've got all of the options turned on except for Flash. - Greg :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.