Another new pool owners test results (green water)

I opened our brand new pool around May 10th. I filled the pool with well water, which resulted in crazy high levels of iron. The water was actually very yellow with iron sediment when it was finally high enough to begin filtration. Right about the time I thought I was getting a handle on the iron, I finally got the pool to sustain the chlorine levels. At this same time, it turned green, which I thought was algae. I decided then to bring the chlorine up. Long story short, I finally got my Taylor 2006 test kit in and here are the numbers.

FC 14.5
CC .5
PH 7.1
TA 240 (I have already used two whole containers of PH reducer and a gallon of muriatic acid and its still that high)
CH 210
CYA 45-49 I did it twice and its somewhere there close

I took these readings at 4:30 tonight. We are having intermittent showers and no real sun to speak of. I was planning on taking another chlorine sample tomorrow morning to see if it was dropping. I have not run the swg today just to see. I put another bottle of the hth metal stuff from Walmart hoping that would help. The .5 cc makes me think that its probably algae also though. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance. Obviously I was (am) ignorant of what went into a pool. I thought that the saltwater generator basically did everything for you. :eek:)

Welcome to TFP!

A clear transparent green can come from iron in the water. I'm not sure if that is what is happening to you, but it seems quite possible. If that is the issue, the HTH metal treatment should take care of the color.

Should I allow the chlorine to fall back to 4 or 5ppm and then put another metal treatment in? I put them metal treatment in yesterday and ......it might be a little clearer, but its still pretty rough. Also, should I put another gallon of muriatic in there to bring that alkalinity down at the same time that I am messing with chlorine and metal treatment or do one thing at a time? The green is fairly clear. I haven't noticed any build up of algae at all and the walls are not slimy.

Work on the metals first and once you get the pool cleared so to speak, then you can get the TA down.

The bottles of metal treatment show one bottle to 10,000 gal for pool opening. Mine is a little bigger and this is technically my second bottle..I think the doses were two weeks apart. I have been filtering pretty much non stop, but the water doesn't seem to be making progress. Filters are getting dirty and still have iron on them though. Should I double the dose of metal treatment? Last dose was 2 or 3 days ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.