AGP Underlayment Issues!!! Please HELP!!!

Hello, my name is Matt Gregory. I'm currently in the process of setting up a 26' Intex Ultra Frame AGP. I've been reading about what a lot of you all use as underlayment. I was interested in using the pink foam insulation that I've read that so many of you all use. My question is this. That stuff is expensive. I've figured that to cover my pool I would need no less than 25, 4x8 sheets of this stuff. The 2" insulation is $36.73 per 4x8 sheet. That's roughly $920 before taxes. That's more than I paid for the pool itself. What gives? Am I missing something? What did you all use? Is there anything more cost effective?

Thanks Ahead,
Matt

Definitely use the blue or pink stuff. Same thing just different brands. I did mine with 1", but I think 3/4" would have been fine. I tend to over do things.

I'd recommend you tape the seams with Gorilla duct tape. I used the house wrap tape and I noticed areas where it's coming loose when I put up the pool this year.

I figure 24.5 sheets to do a 28'X28' square. 7 sheets wide in the 4' direction and 3.5 sheets in the 8' direction. I'd stagger your half sheets so you don't have a continuous seam. $11 bucks a sheet at Menards for 3/4" or $15 for 1". Plus tape and tax. Well under what you have figured.

Staggering your half sheets probably isn't really necessary, if I remember right I think there is a tongue and groove for both directions. Obviously there will be a continuous seam in one direction anyway. Like I said I just over do things.

If the pool was 26x26 square, that is 676 sq. ft. A 4x8 sheet is 32 sq. ft., so if it were square it would take just over 21 sheets. So...since the pool is round it will take less than that. The area of a 26' circle is 531 sq. ft., so that is 16.5 sheets if there were no waste. There will be some waste, I'd guess there will be 15%-20% waste. I think 18 or 19 sheets would do it.

I think 2" is way overkill and will be much harder to trim/cut. I don't think I'd even go with 1" unless the cost difference in 3/4" and 1" was minimal. I'd re-figure with 19 sheets of 3/4" and start there if it were me.

Just my .02

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.