High CYA during summer in Vegas

Aug 1, 2012
My pool has a reading of 100 CYA and I would like to lower that by draining the pool. My only problem is it summer and very hot in Las Vegas so I don't want to damage the plaster. Should I do a partial drain at night and fill it back up or perhaps fill and drain at the same time till it is diluted down to the 30-50ppm mark?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Jared
I live here too and went through similar issues. I drained my pool in January because CYA was like 150 or so. Now it's at 60, water temp is at 90 degrees with the solar. I'm using about 3 gallons of 10% bleach a week so far, I expect it to increase due to more hotter temps. Solar is off now, I test the water everyday now.

You could put the fill hose in the deep end and drain a few feet from the shallow side steps a few feet down.

Nevada pool supply has 10% bleach on sale, 2 gallons for 4.60 until June 30th

Just curious how many gallons is your pool? Trying to get a rough estimate on cost of liquid bleach needed to maintain my pool since mine is about 27,000 gallons. Oh and thanks will hit up NPS later for that bleach. Was there Saturday and it was still $6.50 or so per 2 gallons which was the same price as the 10% bleach at Wal-Mart.

Hi Jared
I live here too and went through similar issues. I drained my pool in January because CYA was like 150 or so. Now it's at 60, water temp is at 90 degrees with the solar. I'm using about 3 gallons of 10% bleach a week so far, I expect it to increase due to more hotter temps. Solar is off now, I test the water everyday now.

You could put the fill hose in the deep end and drain a few feet from the shallow side steps a few feet down.

Nevada pool supply has 10% bleach on sale, 2 gallons for 4.60 until June 30th

I think my pool is around 10k gallons. It's on the south side of my house so the sun is on it from 8am - 6 pm though. I would load up on bleach, that's a great deal they have going on. I have enough to get through June but am going back before June 30 to restock. I just bought 20 gallons, yesterday. And 29% Acid is on sale too

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.