Photometric Test Kit

kerryman71

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2014
Worcester, MA
Hello all,

We currently have a Taylor DPD Test Kit. We're a condo complex, semi-public pool, and are required to test the
water four times a day which isn't an issue. The issue is there are now two of us doing the testing and possibly
a third with the summer coming. One person is in his seventies and has been maintaining the pool as well
as doing the testing for the last few years. I take a little more time testing, such as adding reagent at a more
conservative pace and swirling whereas he'll add a bunch of drops and swirl, possibly going beyond what the actual
reading might be. For example, over the last several evenings I've been getting the calcium hardness up from
200 to a goal of 260. Last night I added enough product to boost it up from 250 to 260. This morning he checks it
and writes 290. I check it within an hour and get 260. Then he tells me he checked it again late this morning and
got 260, so it must've dropped from 290! Checking the comparator he sees one color while I see another.

To make things more accurate across the board with different users I was thinking of going with a photometric test kit,
the Lamotte Color Q 7 or Color Q 7 Plus. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or knows
of anyone who does and could offer advice on this kit or any others. Thanks and apologies for the lenght of the post.

John

Thanks for the info. In regards to checking the calcium hardness, you are correct, it only needs to be tested once a week. He's been checking it four times a day
for a few years now because that's what he was told by the ex-president/manager who didn't know what he was doing to begin with. He's gradually learning how to do things
the right way as I learn them myself. There isn't even room on the sheet for us to check the hardness four times a day. I've been checking it daily lately as we're
adding product to the pool to boost it, so I want to check it each day to make sure it's where I wanted it. When I saw that he had 290 this morning I checked it myself as
I didn't think it would be possible for it to be that high with the amount of product I added the night before. I think I may email the city inspector to get right from him
what needs to be tested four times a day, that way I can just show it to him.

I'll do a search and check on the Color Q. Thanks again.

John

I don't know what the laws are, but the only parameter that would fluctuate enough to check four times per day would be FC.

I imagine that's what it is. Nothing else would need that much checking. Perhaps if you had a pH automation system that was giving you trouble, otherwise no.

Perhaps just a simple speed stir would help if this is a swirling issue

9265_500x375.jpg

Law states FC and pH checked four times a day. The issue is apparently his perception of colors, plus he rushes things. I checked FC around 10:15am and it was just about 2.0 He
checked it at 5:45am and he put down 3.0. I think he checks it and writes down the previous reading. The other day he wrote down 100 for alkalinity, which again he checks
four times a day. He did it twice and put that number down. I checked it as we were going to be increasing it a bit and got a reading of 80. I double checked and got 80 again.
The next time he checked it he puts down 80.

After reading some of the comments on the Color Q I think we'll just stick with the testing method we use now, however we need to get new reagents. I asked him how old they
were and he says most of them are over three years old. At one time they bought some pretty big bottles of various reagents and just top off the small bottles. Again, he means
well and does a good job of things, but was just taught wrong. You should see the instructions he was given for backwashing!

John

Thanks for the comments. I agree it's more of a personnel issue. He means well and has been doing it for a few years because no one else did. I'll make sure I do one of the tests each day
to make sure the pH and FC are where they need to be. He's agreed that any chemicals that need to be added will be done by me as well as figuring how much needs to go in. I've been trying
to teach him how to do the calculations just to show him how's its done. In the past if something was low he would just add "a few scoops here and there" until it got to where it needed to be.
With 33,000 gallons of water that could take a while. I showed him it's a bit easier to add 18 lbs of product to get the calcium hardness up over a few days to exactly where we wanted it rather
than the "few scoops here and there" method.

Our CPO checks in once a week and does a test and records it too, so between him and I we should have a pretty accurate measure of what needs to be done, if anything. I also told him today
that according to the Mass General Laws he only needs to check TA and CH once a week. I'll check with the city inspector first before making that change, but that should help things. You know
the saying about teaching an old dog new tricks. Thanks again.

John

Just an update. Bought a new DPD test kit, deciding not to go with the Color Q after reading the problems people have had with it. It looks like the only
who to go the route of a photometer is to spend big bucks. Also talked with the city inspector today who confirmed that it's ok to only check FC and pH four
times a day and the rest once a week. That should help things.

Since I've been testing the pool and have been going over the proper way to do it with the VP he seems to have gotten better. I bumped up the CH the other
night without telling him. First thing in the morning he took a reading and got it right so I think he's becoming more aware that he should take his time.

Thanks again.

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.