No way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Split off of here. JasonLion

You need to use some sandpaper and remove that coating. The bonding lug should be full metal to metal contact with the posts. As it is now, only tiny area on the side of the screw through the post has you actually bonded, and thats not enough.

no way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage. if it did, we wouldnt have to bond in the first place. it will burn right through that paper thin coating like its not even there, in fact if if it didnt, electricity will arc, (jump) up to 2 inches. how do I know that? because the Taser X26 I carry every day on duty with 50,000 volts and 25 watts will arc through up to 2 inches of thick bulky clothing. And thats low voltage. High voltage will do more than that.

I wouldnt take off the coating, that sounds like a sure fire way to promote premature rusting to me. electrician said it would be fine too, thats good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not normally supposed to have a ground rod.

true, but it isnt gonna hurt either.

A layer of paint won't stop lightning, but it will stop 40 or 50 volts, and 40 to 50 volts is more than enough to kill you when you are in the water.

An extra ground rod can indeed hurt. It creates a ground loop, which can unnecessarily cause ground currents to run through your bonding system, greatly accelerating the corrosion of the bonding wire.

Re: Bonding Question

We're talking relatively low voltage here so your analogy of the taser isn't applicable here.

While removing the coating would be best, it's probably not absolutely critical as the threading of the bolt will provide a path.

A layer of paint won't stop lightning, but it will stop 40 or 50 volts, and 40 to 50 volts is more than enough to kill you when you are in the water.

An extra ground rod can indeed hurt. It creates a ground loop, which can unnecessarily cause ground currents to run through your bonding system, greatly accelerating the corrosion of the bonding wire.

i donno. im not an electrician by trade. But the gentleman that is doing my electric has been for 30+ years and does pools all the time. He told me a ground rod is extra insurance. He also told me that coating is not an issue at all.

Split off of here. JasonLion

no way that coating is going to inhibit electrical passage. if it did, we wouldnt have to bond in the first place. it will burn right through that paper thin coating like its not even there, in fact if if it didnt, electricity will arc, (jump) up to 2 inches. how do I know that? because the Taser X26 I carry every day on duty with 50,000 volts and 25 watts will arc through up to 2 inches of thick bulky clothing. And thats low voltage. High voltage will do more than that. 50,000 volts is HIGH voltage. Low voltage electricity will NOT jump a two inch gap. I'll hold two wires with 110V potential a half inch apart and I'll guarantee they won't arc. You'd see lightning bolts jumping between the female terminals in every plug in the world otherwise.

I wouldnt take off the coating, that sounds like a sure fire way to promote premature rusting to me. electrician said it would be fine too, thats good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

true, but it isnt gonna hurt either.
And I will add that from personal experience wrenching on cars for a living, a paper thin film of black lead-oxide corrosion on a battery post can stop a car from starting.

i donno. im not an electrician by trade. But the gentleman that is doing my electric has been for 30+ years and does pools all the time. He told me a ground rod is extra insurance. He also told me that coating is not an issue at all.

Electricians do very well with power circuits in the 100's of volts (110, 220). Those are very forgiving voltages for making connections. Electricians don't have to think much about joint reliability 'cause it's pretty much done for them with power voltage levels.

Bonding is a totally different situation. Obtaining a long term reliable bonded connection requires cleaning the mating surfaces well. If you don't, it will appear to work fine at first, but will degrade much quicker than a well cleaned joint.

I don't put any stock in what electricians say about bonding. It is totally outside their normal realm of expertise and many aren't able to demonstrate any level of competence by their bonding installations.

You should consider hiring a new electrician.
I know supposed 'pros' with 30 yrs expereince too, and I would hire them to mop the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.