Can I backwash/vacuum to waste?

ian81

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Jenison, MI
Pool Size
Hello, I have a hayward EC-65 (DE Filter) which only contains a "backwash valve" that I open on the back of the filter when I want to backwash.

I have a lot of vacuuming to do. Basically I am wondering if I can close the main drain valve (leaving skimmer open), open the backwash valve and just vacuum through the skimmer out the side of the pump house?

Main reason I am stumped is because you risk damaging the fingers if you run water through it without DE, right? Also, if I do it how I did it last year, I fill it with DE, vacuum (with pump circulating normally), backwash, re-add DE, repeat.

In the process of opening now, water finally above the jets.

Thanks!
Ian

You can't.

That's strictly a backwash valve, you don't have the multiport. You could spend a pile of dough and get one installed, though! I'm in the same boat, but I'm a cheapskate and since everything works fine, I don't want to disturb it.

If you try vacuuming on backwash, all the crud goes through the fingers backwards and you know you'll never ever get it all out again.

You had it exactly right last year. Lots of backwashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.