New Pool Owner

Besides this being my very first pool. I chose salt water instead of chlorine because it was said to me by the salesman that it would be less maintanance. I want to laugh because it's been nothing but that. Since we opened the pool there has been these white flakes floating on top of the water. This is really frustrating to me because I have had the water tested two times. Both times I was told the same thing add calcium, alkaline, and shock. The pool store has no idea what these white flakes are and they said they have never heard of this. I just want these white flakes to go away :(.
I had my pool tested for the third time and here was the results:
TC 0.0
FC 0.0
PH 7.5
TA 85
Calcium Hardness 125
Stabilizer 10
Salt 4260 (they did tell me the salt was to high)
Shock Treatment 0.0
I was told to add 32lbs of alkalinity, 36lbs calcium and a conditioner for the hardness. They did tell me the salt was high but gave me no advice on how to lower it. I tested my pool the morning all levels were good but I still have these WHITE FLAKES. HELP!!! I just want to enjoy my new pool.

Welcome to TFP!

Above all else, you need chlorine in your pool to avoid an algae bloom.

Next, you need to raise your CYA. SWCG pools normally need 70-80ppm CYA to make easier on the generator to maintain the chlorine.

Nothing about your chemistry suggests even the slightest hint of why you have white flakes. Pool store tests are, however, notoriously inaccurate.

What kind of pool surface do you have?

Got a pic of the white flakes? That might help.

Read JohnT's post carefully....you need chlorine in that pool ASAP! Don't count on your SWG because it is either not producing any or not enough.

In any event, I would focus on getting chlorine and CYA in your pool and solve those MAJOR problems and then deal with the white flakes. We'll help you get it figured out and solved but we don't want your pool turning green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.