Switching to BBB and my first test results

Thump4863

May 13, 2014
Oklahoma City
Hello -

I decided to switch to the BBB method. I bought a Taylor K-2006 kit, and did some testing. I tested two days ago, and was having some issues registering a CYA count. I remember from getting tested last year I was in the 60's normally (pool store). I retested today and this is what I got:

FC - 2.4
CC - .4
PH - 7.2
TA - 90
CYA - My guess is 20. The dot got blurry inbetween the 40 and -30 line.
CH - 500

I do have well water so I assume that is why my CH is high. My water is clear, but I do have some algae on parts of the walls and bottom. From the pool math it says shock level at that CYA is 10 so I plan on doing the SLAM method today, and hopefully clear it all up.

The CYA count bothers me. I assumed it would be sky high since all I've every used was powder shock, and trichlor tabs. I did drain quite a bit out before closing this year, and we have had a lot of rain here lately.

Once I get the algae problem situated to you recommend adjusting anything else? Obviously I need to raise CYA up, but to what amount? I'm new to a pool as I just bought the house last year, and my last year experience was shocking, algacide, and more shocking.

Thanks for the help!

You can't do much about the CH, so ignore it and hit the pool with bleach before that clear water starts to look like the walls! Brush until your shoulders can't take any more.

After you're clean and pass all three tests to end the SLAM, 40 would be a good target for CYA. That leaves a little room to use pucks when you leave town on vacation.

Ok so I've been adding bleach and testing since yesterday. Overnight my FC dropped from 11 to 2. I added more bleach and scrubbed again. There was a lot less noticeable algae on the walls and floor this morning and water is still clear. I do have a question on some things I can't get to brush off the bottom of the pool. I do have some metal staining that I haven't scrubbed off yet and calcium build up. There are some brownish stains in what looks to be a calcium scaling. My main concern is that it looks just like the algae did. I've scrubbed and scrubbed but can't seem to get it off. Is there a possibility that it's algae stuck down in there?

If it was my pool, I think I would concentrate on the FC consumption and getting everything else dialed in correctly. Once that is done and you have been running smoothly for a few days, then address what stains remain.

It is tempting to do everything at once but the "go slow" approach is often helpful as you learn your pool better and better.

Do you think those stains possibly contain algae? I'm worried I'm not getting it all because they are the same color as what the algae was. Luckily it's a cloudy day and I'm not having to add much bleach. I have started the process of raising my CYA.

When i bought my house last year, I had mustard algae stains resembling to that but I am not sure about it, my stains went away very quickly during the slamming process, as others mentioned in this post, continue with your slam process and pass the OCLT. To speed up the process clean up pool light fittings inside, I had nasty black algae residue inside it and once I cleaned that it accelerated my slamming process.

So I dropped from 13 to 8 FC last night, but we had a huge thunderstorm hit around 2am and it's still raining. I'm sure those altered the numbers. I put 2 gallons of bleach in. Do you think I should be okay during the day and pick it back up this afternoon?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This mornings results are a drop from 14 to 9. My pool is completely clear and I've scrubbed every nook and cranny. Should I clean my cartridge filters?

Another thing that maybe causing issues is I have some bird issues I can't get rid of. They are dropping poop in the pool. I clean out about 10 of them each day after work. I get a majority of it, but obviously some of it gets dissolved into the water. Could that be eating the chlorine at night? I normally clean the pool around 6 and take my last reading at 9.

Really hoping to start cutting down on my bleach usage. In just 4 days I've spent $120 on just bleach!

Bird droppings will consume bleach. They're organic!

Yes, try cleaning the filters, the skimmer basket, and the pump strainer basket. They're all sharing the same water and chlorine, so if there's organic stuff inside, it will cause you to lose chlorine. Don't forget to check the hiding places behind lights and under stair rails and in the skimmer mouth. Algae likes to hide there.

$120 for bleach is probably 1/3 what the pool store would sell you! Phos-free is about fifty bucks a bottle, and your pool would need two! Here's just one such tale I found in a quick search
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...reading-and-phosphates-pool-store-not-helping

I cleaned my skimmer basket, took out my flaps, and scrubbed both of my skimmers with bleach yesterday. I don't have any ladders in my pool, and my lights are led and brand new this season. They are hard to remove so I think they are okay. I will clean the filters tonight and see what it does. I'm hoping that it's the bird droppings causing it.

Again thanks for your help!

Dropped from 16 to 11 overnight. Not sure where this algae is hiding but it sure is getting frustrating. I didn't get a chance to clean my filters last night, but will do it tonight.

Should I be running the filter 24/7 even when I'm not there to check the levels? I've had it stopped from about 6am till noon to give it a small break.

Should I also test cya again with the possibility my level increased after adding cya in on Sunday? I read it could take up to a week to register, but I'm thinking I need to raise my FC level. I've been trying to keep it at mustard algae just in case, but hard to keep it that high while at work. It's normally only dropped to 9 or so when I get home, so it is staying in the higher range. Just not shock level all day.

If you've been keeping it to MA levels (not sure why however) then I wouldn't worry about retesting the CYA level yet, its kinda soon.
You should be running filter 24/7 till SLAM is complete. Plenty of pumps run 24/7 no harm there.
(just a sidenote - the stains could be organic imbedded into CH scale, not necessarily live algae. Does any of the surface feel like sandpaper? Hang in there, complete the SLAM, and we can worry about the stains when you pass the OCLT.)

Some are kinda rough, and that's why I brought it up. I didn't know if it was possible that it was algae or something organic in there. I can't seem to brush it out. It is however starting to fade some.

As far as levels I was doing mustard algae level because I wasn't sure I didn't have it, and I figured the higher level would speed it up.

Update and a question:

2 nights ago my overnight test showed a loss of 2. Last nights showed a 1.5. However it rained all night and I would estimate it to around 3-4 inches of rain. Would the rain effect my numbers? Yesterday would be a week since I started. I have only had to add about 1/2 to a gallon of bleach daily to keep it in the shock levels. Even staying there while it was at work later in the day. Hoping I'm finished with this SLAM!

Also water has been the clearest it has ever been since Monday, and CC has been zero since then. Just haven't passed the overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.