Pool swg start up question

May 17, 2014
TUCSON, AZ
Pool Size
I had algae, so I drained my pool and now have refilled it and added salt. Its a 10' x 32"deep round intex above ground pool with metal frame. I know I have to add 32oz of stabilizer per pool math, but my question is do I add the stabilizer now, then run the pump for awhile and retest, or add stabilizer and turn swg system on then test. the intex manual is very vague about this.

You need to adjust the pH and get some bleach in there to hold things until the salt has 24 hours to mix. Then you can turn on the SWG. The stabilizer should go in a sock and either set it in the skimmer or hang it over the edge in front of a return. It will take a couple days to dissolve, so the SWG may not be able to keep up with the demand until the CYA level rises. Keep adding bleach to keep FC around 3 until the SWG takes over.

ok, I will add stabilizer with the salt, run for 24hrs, then test before I turn on swg......right? Or do I turn on the swg and let it run for 24hr then test the water? This is where I need advice....

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, now another question, my swg is from intex it has the pump built in to it. The run time for the swg is the same for the pump. How do you figure how long you need to run the swg to keep up with generating chlorine? I had been running it for only 3hrs, should I be running the pump alone for more than that, or is 3hrs good for both?
Thats what the chart says for my size pool and temperature.

Thanks Richard, now another question, my swg is from intex it has the pump built in to it. The run time for the swg is the same for the pump. How do you figure how long you need to run the swg to keep up with generating chlorine? I had been running it for only 3hrs, should I be running the pump alone for more than that, or is 3hrs good for both?
Thats what the chart says for my size pool and temperature.
I have no clue. Never seen an intex SWG in the flesh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
intex.jpg here is a picture, the pump and swg system are all as one. the whole system can be programmed by hrs. you cannot run the pump seperatly unless you do it manually. I have another pump that came with the pool so I use that for additional pump time, just not sure how much I should be using the pump. I only have a chart for the whole system.

View attachment 30031 here is a picture, the pump and swg system are all as one. the whole system can be programmed by hrs. you cannot run the pump seperatly unless you do it manually. I have another pump that came with the pool so I use that for additional pump time, just not sure how much I should be using the pump. I only have a chart for the whole system.
All you can do is run it three hours or whatever and see what the FC level is. If it's not enough, run it longer. When it gets too high, turn it down a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.