CYA is AWOL

RowdyC

May 4, 2013
Norman, Ok
New home, new pool last year. Found TFP early on and was all BBB all summer. Worked great, got great advice. Last summer CYA was 90+, partially drained and refilled and eventually got CYA to the 60-70 mark.
Closed pool, opened this summer to clear water but huge green algae covering the bottom. Bleached the **** out of the pool the first 5 days, now clear and looking pretty good BUT I can't get a CYA reading...it's like it's less than zero. I've read that the algae can eat/breakdown CYA, so I can believe that's where it went...NOW, how do I get some back in the pool? And, do I wait to lower PH until I know what to add for CYA...everything seems to affect the other.

Thank you pool people!

PH is high at 8
FC overnight about 12 (using strips waiting for my R-0871 re-order)
TA 120

Don't trust that pH reading if FC is above 10. The reagent reacts with high FC and reads falsely high.

Raising CYA levels is easy. Buy some granular stuff, measure it out into a sock or nylon, and set it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. When it dissolves, you have CYA. It will take about a week to register completely. Shoot low - maybe 30. You can always add more later. You know what a PITA lowering it can be.

That I do Richard, THAT I do!

Can I determine the amount of granular stuff to measure with the pool calculator?

PS, thanks for the quick reply.
Yes you can. It gives it by weight and by volume. Don't let your wife catch you using her kitchen measuring cups. And if you snitch a pair of pantyhose from her dresser to use as the sock, you might have some 'splaining to do.

Don't let your wife catch you using her kitchen measuring cups. And if you snitch a pair of pantyhose from her dresser to use as the sock, you might have some 'splaining to do.

Oh trust me, just another excuse for her to go shopping! Because I ruined her pantyhose, she'll need a whole new outfit to go with the new hose...geez

BTW, when the pool calculator asks for temperature, is that water temp or air temp? I've wondered that for a year now.

Oh trust me, just another excuse for her to go shopping! Because I ruined her pantyhose, she'll need a whole new outfit to go with the new hose...geez

BTW, when the pool calculator asks for temperature, is that water temp or air temp? I've wondered that for a year now.
Water.

It makes a difference when calculating CSI. Otherwise, it has no real purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.