One skimmer working, the other not

May 29, 2014
Wilton, CT
I have a 30,000 gallon pool, with return jets in the shallow end, 2 skimmers in the deep end and a side suction (into which I plug my vacuum in) in the deep end near one of the skimmers. The skimmer near the side suction works fine. However, I seem to get very little suction on the opposite side skimmer. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

How are the skimmers plumbed? Directly to the equipment pad? One skimmer may be plumbed to the other skimmer and from there to the pump. If so, you may need a float diverter to force suction from the far skimmer.

Welcome! :wave:

Look for a second lid in the concrete behind the skimmer lids. Sometimes there's a valve to open or close the skimmers. Also look below the skimmer baskets. See if there are two holes and if one is plugged or not and is there a diverter valve. It will be below the basket, sitting in the bottom, might resemble a flying saucer. If so, it could be tied to the main drain or it could be tied to the far skimmer and it needs adjusting.

The skimmer has one hole in the bottom. It is likely plumbed to the other skimmer and from there to the pump. There is only one valve for both skimmers at the pump, and I also have no idea how to control the main drain. There does not appear to be any valves besides the side and skimmer at the pump.

Here's one way to figure out how things are plumbed: Shut off the pump. Take the garden hose and stick it in the open pipe in the skimmer that works and turn it on. If you see water coming up out of the far skimmer, they're teed together, and naturally, water takes the path of least resistance to the pump, so the far one gets little or no suction.

If that's the case. a diverter valve might help reduce the suction in the near skimmer and raise it in the far one.

What if I put the gizmo in the skimmer that works to see how much suction I get from the other skimmer. Will that hurt anything?
If the pipe is clogged or they aren't connected together, you might starve the pump. You'd need to close the flap on the bottom of the diverter. Listen for the motor pitch to change, or all the sudden see no movement from the returns. A diverter may cost you twenty bucks at the pool store; the hose is free.

PS Did you find a diverter lying in the shed or something?

Last edited:
I can confirm that the skimmers are plumbed together. I tried the garden hose and that worked. There was no diverter in the garage, so now I need to go buy one, correct?

On another note, I turned the valve for the side off and left only the skimmers on, and the pressure on the DE filter dropped precipitously - from 18 psi to 6 psi. Is that normal?

I can confirm that the skimmers are plumbed together. I tried the garden hose and that worked. There was no diverter in the garage, so now I need to go buy one, correct?

On another note, I turned the valve for the side off and left only the skimmers on, and the pressure on the DE filter dropped precipitously - from 18 psi to 6 psi. Is that normal?
Buying a diverter would be my next step. Well.... maybe not. I'd be tempted to set a plastic bowl upside down over the two ports in the working skimmer. You need to allow a passage between the two openings. It should stop the skimmer from working and direct all the pump suction to the far one. If that works, then I'd buy a diverter.

Low pressure could be that you're sucking air in the skimmers. Check that the water isn't too low or that the weir (flapper) isn't stuck. If there is no vortex going and the skimmer well is full, then the pump is starving for water. You'll need to keep that side port open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.