Green pool. First time pool owner

kuzya

Sep 20, 2013
20140531_083705.jpg
We bought a new house last august. Came with the in-ground pool.
We just opened it and the pool is green. I bought the TF100 kit and I finally did some tests this morning.

FC 0
pH 8.2
CYA 0
Green Algae
TA 30

I bought enough chemicals to start the SLAM process. I do have some questions before I start:
Should I fix the PH and CYA before I start the SLAM process?

I have read a lot of good information during the last couple of days.
I will update my profile with more information about my pool in 30 minutes.

Thank you!

If your pool has a plaster surface well will need to know your CH. Yes lower pH to about 7.2, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm then start the slam. Keep the pump running 24/7 during the process and clean the filter whenever there is a 20% rise from clean pressure.

Thanks for the help. My pool is vinyl. I will use the calculator to see how much I need. Should I add the dry acid first and Cyanuric Acid later or can I add both at the same time? One more question: Should I worry about the low TA reading? Thanks!!!

Don't worry about the TA for now.

Put the CYA in a sock, and hang it in front of a return, or put the sock in the skimmer basket.

Dissolve your acid in a bucket, then slowly pour it in front of a running return.

Check your pH in about an hour, and if it's close to 7.2, start your SLAM.

Your target FC should be 12, and you will need to keep it there. Don't let it drop below that number.

While it is quite rare, I think I would bring the TA up first. Normally, it is fine to keep leave the TA alone but your's is quite low and would do well to be adjusted before pH.

1. Adjust TA to 100 - use BAKING SODA

2. Lower pH down to about 7.2 7.5 - Use muriatic acid. (your TA will come down some also....that's OK and that's why we raised it in the first place.)

3. Add the CYA as suggested above.

Each of these steps can be done one right after another.

Added all the chemicals.
Baking soda - 21 pounds.
muriatic acid - 34.6% - 22 ounces

CYA (powder) - I put two socks into the skimmer, it is slowly dissolving.
I will measure in 30 minutes and report back.

This is a great website! The guy at the store was trying to sell me all kinds of chemicals: algecide, tablets and other stuff.

Latest results
FC 0
TA 100
pH 8.2

PH didn't go down. Should I add more acid or wait? I waited an hour after I added the chemical to measure the PH.

I just realized that TA moves the PH calculation. I was adding chemicals for the TA value of 30 - which was 24 oz of muriatic acid.
I have the TA of 100 now - this requires 64 oz of muriatic acid.

Thanks!

Latest results
FC 0
TA 100
pH 8.2

PH didn't go down. Should I add more acid or wait? I waited an hour after I added the chemical to measure the PH.

Thanks!
The highest the tester can read is 8.2, so anything over that will show up as 8.2. You could have easily been 9.2. Just plug your numbers into poolmath again and add acid again. One of these times, you'll see a change. After that, it should behave right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yep..just worry about keeping your chlorine at shock level!...don't worry about anything else right now. Let's get your pool clear, and algae killed, then we can adjust your pH, CYA, etc. Also if you just added CYA..it can take up to a week to get an accurate reading. so be patient young padujuan! :)

20140531_195834.jpg

It is hard to see on the picture but it is light green instead of dark green color.
How often should I check the FC level?

FC level went down to 9. I added another gallon of bleach.

Thanks!

well there's no real hard and fast rule as to how often you need to check you FC. If you follow the SLAM procedures, they say not more than every hour, and not LESS than twice a day. When I've done the SLAM, I usually checked every 6-8 hours...being sure to check once after sunset, and then again first thing in the morning.

Dan

In the beginning of a SLAM the more often you can test FC and keep it at SLAM level the quicker it will go. Every hour would be premium but lifestyle would probably prohibit that. So test as often as you can and bring your FC back to SALM level as needed. Later in the process when your FC starts to hold longer you can back off on the frequency of testing.
You can also go a couple of ticks higher on your SLAM FC level ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.