Installed new Hayward VS pump with issues...

May 21, 2014
Westport, MA
I have a 18x36 inground with a Hayward DE filter. Recently I moved my filter approx 50 feet from my pool... I also decided I wanted to get a new VS pump to cut energy costs.... My issue is that it never seems to prime all the way... I do get pressure from the return lines to the pool with maybe a little air in the returns.... I am curious if my 1 1/2 suction and returns could cause the inability of the pump to prime.... I used the same size lines as what the pool is plumbed with..I am not necessarily concerned about the pump not being full, I do not have any water appliances so it is just filtering.... I guess my main question is will the filter clean the water even though it is not totally primed?
Any advice would be appreciated...
TIA

If the pump basket is not full you are getting air in the system. How high is the water level in the pool? Is it at least 1/2 way up the skimmer? If the water level is high enough check that the o-ring on the pump strainer lid is lubed and seated correctly. You may also need to check the above ground plumbing from the skimmer to the pump for air leaks. Check each pipe joint by drizzling water over them and watching to see if it gets sucked into the plumbing.

It is important to track down how air is getting into the system. Air leaks tend to worsen over time if not corrected and I would hate to see you burn up a brand new pump by running it dry.

I have checked the water level in the skimmer.... it is high enough to prevent air suction....
I also checked the suction from the bottom of the skimmer, and it is enough to pull my fingers in the pipe if I cover the pipe so I think there is not a problem with that..... I really have very limited plumbing above ground, but I will check the joints I see with water.... what should I lube the basket cover oring with??
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.