Need help with cleaning Pentair FNS Plus DE filter

Pounds

May 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm new at this, so be kind please :). I have to clean this filter NOW (1-2 week wait to have professional clean). Pressure too high not long after backwash (5 times in less than 2 days) & pool is gross after recent storms. My filter has a multiport valve, and the suction valve controls only main drain & skimmer (both skimmers on same side). It's a Never Lube Jandy Valve if that helps. I have gotten this far: I back washed the filter to decrease amount of DE & debris on filter, then cut the power. I have release the pressure, and removed the drain plug from the bottom. I'm not sure about the next step. I've read conflicting advice on the suction valve, but my manual states to turn it to 100% suction! which is what I've done (the "off" portion of the lever is over the main drain). Is this correct? Also, not sure where multiport valve should be positioned - on "backwash" or "closed"? I hope this is clear! I just want to make sure the pressure is gone before I remove the lid (I assume it is, as water drained from the bottom). Thanks for reading, & any help is appreciated!!

Please read this tutorial multiple times, it is very detailed and a great one, even though the illustration is on Hayward DE 6020 but it should be very similar for Pentair, I have had zero previous experience but I did my DE filter cleaning and filter replacement based on that tutorial all by myself (my wife helped me a bit;)) , I not only saved money but I did a close to perfect work. You can do it, please post any questions in this forum people will help you out.

DE Cleaning Tutorial

Pounds - Did the DE cleaning tutorial help you out? You may also want to double check the grids themselves to make sure the fabric is not torn or the internal plastic vanes of the de grids are broken. If you find that the grids are torn or broken then you may want to replace your grids as well, typically they last about 5 - 7 years.

Thanks so much! I had actually already seen that tutorial, & ultimately ended up using it. I cheated this time; however, & cleaned everything inside the tank. As a newbie, I had too many chances to mess up ;). I did check to make sure no DE is entering the pool, & it appears to be ok. I was really concerned about the pressure & valve placement, but it looks like it was a success! I'll do it the right way & take everything out next time. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.