Jandy Colors Light Problem...

Jul 21, 2012
I have an in-ground pool equipped with a Jandy LED color-changing light. The pool equipment is all linked up to the remote control system. When I try to turn on the pool light, it never works correctly.

I'll select Pool Light on the remote, and it gives a long list of colors I can choose from. No matter what color I choose, it seems to just cycle through the same three or four colors, non-stop. I'll go from white to blueish-green to white to purple to completely-off, then repeats. It sits in each color (or lack thereof) for 30s to a minute and just keeps going, never stopping. I looked up the manual and I've tried manually cycling through colors via the control panel by turning it on and off, but when I do that, the light doesn't even bother coming on after an attempt or two.

I bought this house last year and I've had to teach myself how to use this elaborate pool system, and I'm wondering if I'm just not doing something right. Is there anything I can do to get it to work correctly? Am I doing something wrong or could it just be the light motor going out?

Any help is appreciated. As always, you guys rock.

Reactions: chouston
Re: Jandy LED Light Problem...

You are doing the right thing. Something somewhere is setup incorrectly.

The easiest thing to do is to make sure the AquaLink is setup for the kind of light you actually have.

Do you know if the light(s) are 12 volt or 120 volt?

I do not know, unfortunately. As I mentioned, I bought the house last year and all this stuff was previously installed. Is there a way I can check that easily? Also, do you know of any way to do a full reset on the light?

Are you sure it's a jandy light? It could be like our setup - jandy automation but we have a 3G led color changing light in a regular Edison type lamp/niche - anyway the 3G led lamp doesn't use he same power on/off pattern to change colors that the jandy does. We have to change the colors by manually flipping on and off the power.

As a test the 3G lamps use a 3X on-off to reset - they flash red three times when reset - it has to be done very quickly - ie 3x cycle in a couple seconds

I'm not certain, no, but it looks like literally everything in this setup is Jandy, so I'm leaning toward yes. The color options I have on my AquaLink are the same color options I see in the Jandy manual. I can go try turning it on an off 3 times real quick to check. I'll probably have to wait until tonight to try since I live in sunny AZ and I wouldn't be able to tell if it was on or not during the day. :p

It could be a setup issue. You can go into the system setup and see which type of color light is activated. I would experiment with all of the light choices in the "Color Lights" menu (Jandy Colors, Jandy LED, SAM/SAL, and Colorlogic.) Try the one at a time and see if the light works normally.

So, now that it's dark, I tried out some of the things you all recommended.

First, I tried setting the system to SAM/SAL and Colorlogic, but to no avail. The system seemed to try and cycle through the lights, but every time it came on, they were always white. I went back to Jandy because I'm 99% sure it's Jandy. The previous owner obviously had too much money on his hands when he built this system (over $100k), so I doubt he concerned himself with getting the best deal and just went with convenience of brand.

I tried the 3x on off and I didn't get any red indicators.

I still don't know if it's 12v or 120v, but I'd be happy to check if someone wants to tell me where to look.

Lastly, after I turned the settings back to Jandy (the only way I could actually get color), it pretty much did the same thing as I explained in the original post. It cycles through a couple of the wrong colors, turns on and off, and repeats. I recorded a really hard to see and boring video that I'm uploading to Youtube in case you guys want to see exactly what I'm seeing. Maybe in watching you can tell if it's the light or maybe the system (or remote), itself. Short of the light, though, everything works perfectly. I'll post it as soon as it is done processing.

Edit: Here's the youtube. Sorry for the poor lighting, quality, dirty pool, and stupid voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKz_lI8OkAM

watch

I think you need to replace the light engine.

First I'd try reinstalling the light. If that doesn't work download the manual from jandy and order a new lift engine. The warranty is only a year so I doubt you could claim that but try.

I think I would pull the light from the niche and get up out of the pool and see if there is a manufacturers label on it - there should be enough cord to get it out (kill power first!). Also I know as a safety precaution a lot of the led's default to white when they first get power - my color logic 3G does that and it has specific timings for the power cycles - ie on-off-on in under 2-3 sec has a diff function than the same cycle in > 3 sec - however it does not have specific power patterns for specific colors - I have to let it color cycle and the "pause" it on the color I want - hence my jandy PDA doesn't work with it directly.

Edit - but mine is a pentaire niche for a std incandescent that I replaced the bulb with an led'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I finally got around to pulling it out. Apparently it's not the LED version of the light, it's the halogen version. It appears at least one of my bulbs is out, which would explain why it would go dark at certain times. What is still a mystery to me, however, is why the light continues to cycle, even after it reaches the desired color blend? Does the updated info of this being the non-LED version help with trying to figure out how to properly torubleshoot and fix the problem?

Maybe somebody else will chime in, I'm not familiar with the halogen/color lights.

Not sure what the repair would cost for your current one but if at all possible I would just replace it with an all LED version.

So, I finally got around to pulling it out. Apparently it's not the LED version of the light, it's the halogen version. It appears at least one of my bulbs is out, which would explain why it would go dark at certain times. What is still a mystery to me, however, is why the light continues to cycle, even after it reaches the desired color blend? Does the updated info of this being the non-LED version help with trying to figure out how to properly torubleshoot and fix the problem?

Not sure if you ever got this figured out but the reset method is exactly the same as the LED version. With the Quartz Halogen version you don't get as many light options but it not worth the $700 or so to put in the LED's until the entire thing has failed you. To reset the lights, turn it on for two seconds then off for two seconds. Repeat this three times. After this is done, turn them on again using the key pad to cycle through to the desired color or just use Color Splash. Next time it will start on whatever color or Color Splash until you select something different or reset it again. BTW, you can use these LED lights but need a slightly longer 3mm screw to hold the dichroic lens on the bulb holder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.