Hasa Chlorinator, high TA, low pH

dwinn

Mar 23, 2013
I installed 8 gallon Chlorinator and am trying to balance the water to manufacturer's recommended levels: TA 80-100, pH 7.2. I started the Chlorinator with my levels at TA 180 pH 8.4 and within 5 days the Chlorinator was plugged up with "white stuff", a common problem much discussed in the forum. TFP members have solved the "white stuff" problem by shooting for TA 80 and pH 7.2 and, in some cases, adding borates. This is the "white stuff" solution I am trying.

Over the last 5 days, I have added 3.5 gallons of 31.45% muriatic acid and the TA has dropped to the range of 80-100. But in the process my pH has gone to 6.00! I know the pH is far too low and needs to be brought up, but I don't know how to do it without increasing TA. Today I tried aeration through the spa jets, but I am afraid the process will be too slow.

What should I do now? If the next step raises my TA, how to I get to my targets? If the "white stuff" problem persists, at what point and how do I add borates? And what will borates do to my TA and pH?

18,000 gal IG plaster pool, cartridge filter, maintained last year with no problems using BBB

You should read the article in Pool School in the How To section on how to lower your TA.

You should never have lowered the PH that low. Now you have to raise the PH back up to at least 7.0 with borax (or soda ash if that is all you can get). Don't leave the PH that low for long, as low PH can damage the pool.

After than you can raise the PH slowly with aeration until it is high enough to add more acid. Lowering TA is a slow process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.