Newbie HELP please Pro Series 20x 48 need a better filter and pump

May 30, 2014
alabama
Sam's club pro series 20x 48 8000gal pool. It is our first pool. We are brand new to this so please be patient. As I'm sure you know the pump that comes with the pool is total junk. I would like to upgrade to a better pump/filter but don't even know where to begin. For you guys that have done this can you PLEASE tell me what to buy. Please include names and part numbers if possible with all fittings and adapters I will need. Basically please list EVERYTHING I will need start to finsh. The simplest best most cost efficient way. Thanks in advance.

If you stick with the "Intex" type - google search Intex Sand filters - shopping - you can get an upgrade that should be compatible with your existing fittings. Any of the sizes they offer in that model will be better than what comes with your pool and absolutely fine for your size pool.

Check Craig's List for pumps and filters too. You can get real deals there! You can go to the hardware store for all the other stuff that's needed for the plumbing. We have so many threads here that you can access through the search feature. :goodjob:

It would be very difficult for someone to tell you exactly what you need to buy, since these soft sided pools have been changing over the last few years, and there is more than one manufacturer. Intex has become synonymous with soft sided pool, much like kleenex and tissue, so you may see some references to an intex pool when they actually have a Summer Escapes, or a Pro Series. Some of the parts are interchangeable but not all.

I looked up the pool you mentioned and it comes with a through the wall skimmer/filter/pump combo that Intex brand pools do not have. You could replace this with a standard through the wall skimmer, a filter of your choice (I prefer sand), and a 1 hp 2 speed pump. Some of our members have been able to remove the filter/pump portion from the stock skimmer and just add plumbing, pump, and filter. If you want to try this and are unsure how to proceed take several close up pictures of the skimmer pump combo and post them here.

Measure the diameter of the inlet and outlet fixtures. If they are 1 1/2" you should be able to use standard plumbing fixtures. If they are 1 1/4" you may need to make some modifications.

a?nother question In all the setup videos that I've seen all of the pools have a plunger valve or even 2 this pool did not come with any nor did the sand filter do I need them and what is their purpose? can I just plum the filter to the pool directly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think so, I had originally planned on doing that but figured it would be extremely better to have plunger valves so I would be able to close off water flow easily and it's more convienent than using those cheap plugs. What size holes vs hose do you have?

I figure I'll be cleaning the filter attached to pump frequently and need to close off intake water flow to do so, so it'll save me some headaches.

The sand filter should have a multi-port valve on top, so you will not need a valve on the return side, you just put the multi-port on closed. You will want a way to shut off water coming into the pump to clean out the strainer basket. You can either plumb in a valve or use a plug in the opening of the skimmer.

Ok guys got the sand filter hooked up. Works great. Only issue now is I need a fitting that will go into the bottom of my skimmer allowing me to eliminate the factory pump. As of now I'm doing the original pump with rotor removed method. everything works great but I would rather have a fitting instead of the original pump if nothing more then for a cleaner look. is there a fitting out there to do this or what do you guys do

- - - Updated - - -

Skimmer says sfs2000 on the side if that matters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.