Total Newb Opening pool

All,

I posted in the forum a couple of months ago http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72081-Opening-a-AG-pool-last-used-in-2012 regarding opening a pool for the first time. To sum it up the pool had fuzzy brown looking algae (I think) on the bottom (when I could see it) and the water had turned dark green by May. I've started the SLAMing process and I'm needing some group help. Here's what i've done and need help with:

First I hooked up the pump with the skimmer and bottom hole into the pump inlet. Before the pump inlet is another skimmer type basket that the hose from the skimmer and bottom hole feed into. The pump the feeds into the filter/cartridge.
Another hose goes from the filter/cartridge outlet into the pool inlet which is close to the top of the pool near the skimmer.

I believe I have it all hooked up correctly (if not let me know) but what I am struggling with is the skimmer type basket before the pump leaks out of the top where the lid screws on. I don't know if it is missing a gasket of between the lid and the rest of the basket container. I've included attachments to show how I've hooked things up and the leaky skimmer basket.

Next
I started SLAMing on 5/28 without doing any water tests b/c I thought that since the pool had not been used since Feb 2013 and the water looked like a green swamp. So I did my pool calcs in the Pool Math portion of the site and figured 10000 gals for my pool and put in 5 - 121oz 8.25% Clorox bottles into the pool right before dark and let the pool pump run overnight. The pool went from a dark green to a cloudy light blue. So I was very impressed with the turn around in less that 8 hrs.

5/29 I tested my FC (2.5) and CC (1.5) for a TC of 4.0. So I added 2 more 121oz 8.25% Clorox bottles at dusk and went to bed. I woke up and the pool was still the cloudy light blue and I can't see the bottom yet.

5/30 I tested my FC (.5) and CC (2.0) for a TC of 2.5 again. I'll add 3 more 121oz of bleach again tonight. I was hoping to see some improvement in the water by now but it seems I am losing too much chlorine. I read some on the CYA but I didn't know what stablizer I needed to add so I can retain more chlorine.

DSC75152.jpgDSC7516.jpgDSC7517.jpg

Thanks for all your help and guidance!

You can buy stabilizer in 4 lb. jugs at Walmart. Have you lubed the ring on the pump basket lid? We need a COMPLETE set of test results to give you good advice. Are you using one of our recommended test kits? Why is your water level below the skimmer bottom? You aren't filtering anything with that. Is the skimmer line going to the front to the pump basket? I don't understand how you have water coming into the pool from the return with apparently no water coming in from the skimmer.

I don't think there is a ring on the pump basket but I'll double check. I've got the TF-100 test kit. The water is below skimmer due to the leaking and I can't keep the level up due to being on a well. The skimmer and the bottom drain are both connected so I'm pretty sure the pump is drawing from the bottom of the pool and filtering that way. I look through pool school on how to do a full test. Thanks!

I went through and did the chem tests or the pool water and here are my results (I added 2 bottles of bleach about 2.5 hrs ago.)
FC = 11.5
CC = 1
TC = 12.5

PH = 8.2 (was really really pink and 8.2 was as high as the test block went)
TA = 90
CYA = 0? I performed this test twice and the solution never got cloudy (or some other color) and it remained clear so I could see the black dot at the bottom of the CYA view tube until I filed the CYA tube to the top.

So I definitely need some CYA as I thought to help with my Cl loss.

Does any of those results make sense for a previous green, not maintained for 1yr pool?

Also let me know if I left anything out. I know I left the calcium test out but I omitted it b/c I read where it's not an issue in vinyl lined pools.

Thanks.

First job is to lower that PH down to mid 7's range. In reality, your PH could be much higher than the 8.2 reading. Use PoolMath to determine how much muriatic acid to add to do so. Recheck in half an hour or so and dose again if necessary. Add enough cya to take your value to 30 and maintain SLAM level of FC for that level of cya. See the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. Don't bother to recheck cya level till you're done SLAMming. Calcium is not an issue. Run pump and filter 24/7 until SLAM is complete. Backwash when you see a 25% rise in pressure.

Update I'm still trying to open the pool after a setback with a leak. I started SLAMing again on Sat. 6/14/14.
I want to thank whoever thought of using pantyhose for skimmer socks b/c after skimming and vacuuming I went though about 10 pairs of algae collected in the skimmer. I vacuumed as best as I could see b/c the water is still a cloudy blue-green.

I've rinsed the filter once and it didn't seem dirty at all since I used the skimmer socks.

I've been running the pump 24-7 since starting to SLAM.

below are my most recent readings
FC = 13.5
CC = .5
TC = 14

PH = 7.2 ~ 7.3
TA = 210
CYA = 35

I'm getting ready to pour another 1.5 gals of 10% liquid chlorine to bring my chlorine level back up to ~26 range.

Do things seem like they are proceeding normally and it's just a be patient an wait for the water to clear?

Thanks!!

2nd Update:

After 24 hours the water doesn't look like it has changed much at all. I pulled the filter out this evening and cleaned it. It went from a light tan color (I guess due to the algae) back to white for 90% of the filter (and it's a monster filter).

I just took my FC and it is 21.5

I'm pretty sure I passed the Overnight test last night but I will test again in the morning.

If I do pass then 2/3 steps in my SLAM process is complete. I am just waiting on my water to clear.

If that is the case with a cartridge filter I'm guessing it may take until this coming Saturday 6/21 to clear with a cartridge filter from what I've read?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Completing SLAM process

Merged threads. Please keep all posts in this thread until you are completely done with the SLAM process. Folks need the history to give better advice/suggestions. :wink: Butterfly

Hi all,

I've completed 2/3 of the SLAM steps

CC is 0.5 or lower;
I've had 2 OCLT of 1.5 ~ 1.0 ppm

The problem I'm having is getting the water clear. It's a cloudy bluish color and I backwashed the filter (Cartridge) twice in 4 days and it just doesn't seem to be clearing up.

below are my most recent readings
FC = 19.5
CC = .5
TC = 20

PH = 7.2 ~ 7.3
TA = 210
CYA = 35

Is there something else I should be doing to try and get the water clear? The pool was not used (or maintained) by the previous owners since Feb of 2012. I've tried to vac out as much as I could see b/c I cannot see the bottom right now.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Completing SLAM process

update 4:
Last night I cleaned my filter. After a day it was a tan color just like the previous day. We had about 2" of rain from around 6-7:30pm so I tested everything before I went to bed 10pm.
FC = 21
CC = 0
TC = 21

PH = 7.5
TA = 200
CYA = 29

We had alittle more rain around midnight about .5"

So I took another full test this morning about 7:30am
FC = 16
CC = 1
TC = 17

PH = 7.5
TA = 190
CYA = 30

So as you can see I had a 5 ppm drop last night when I was only seeing about a 1 ppm drop. would the rain dilute it that much?
I've included some pics so everyone can see what the water looks like. It's still a cloudy green-blue. I'm just getting really frustrated b/c it looks like there has really been zero progress since Monday on the clarity of the water. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Can't seem to get the pics to load b/c it says I'm 36kb over quota and they are only 160kb files???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.