Where do I go from here?

ksumm

Jun 9, 2013
Central Arkansas
I have been slamming my pool and it is now beautifully clean and algae-free. But, where do I go from here?

Here is my situation. I realized that I do not think my swg is working. I do not know how to test it to be 100% sure, but I think it is broken. So, I guess I will have to chlorinate another way until I get it fixed or purchase a new one. What would you suggest? Here are my current readings (with my new T100 test kit! Yay!)

PH - 6.8
TA - 50
CH - 50
CYA - 32
And my Chlorine level is zero, which is how I found out my swg is not working.

Please advise me on what to do. I appreciate the help you guys provide sooo much!

Raise PH up to at least 7.2 right away. CYA should be around 70 to 80 for use with a SWG, but don't raise it that high until you get everything else stable.

The PH and CYA could have been causing the problem with the SWG, rather than any problem with the SWG it's self.

First things first: your pool is a bleach pool at the moment. So get some bleach in there now. For 32 CYA, FC target is 6. minimum is 3.

Next, add borax or soda ash or any leftover pH increaser product you might have left over from your pre-TFP days.

Allow 30 minutes between doses.

Then look at that SWG. Are there any warning lights on? Is there fizzing visible in the cell?

You are pretty well covered with the advice above. I'd reiterate getting the CYA and pH up and add some liquid chlorine like right now!

Ok, I added bleach & got my chlorine up to 6. I also added boric acid & ph is 7.2.

I also took my swg apart & soaked it in vinegar. Now, no alarms are going off & we think we see little bubbles like it may be fizzing.
Excellent!

Here's how you test it. Take a big cup or pitcher and rinse it out and then push it underwater upside down next to the return closest to the SWG. Tip it up towards the return so a huge air bubble burps out and hold it about 1/" from the wall right in front of the SWG and let it flush a bit, and then hoist it out. Test that sample immediately. If it's higher than the FC in the pool, it's working.

The bad news is, if it's working but your pool was down to zero FC, something is consuming it. It could be the low CYA letting the sun zap it, or it could be algae. An overnight loss test will isolate it for you.

Here's how you test it. Take a big cup or pitcher and rinse it out and then push it underwater upside down next to the return closest to the SWG. Tip it up towards the return so a huge air bubble burps out and hold it about 1/" from the wall right in front of the SWG and let it flush a bit, and then hoist it out. Test that sample immediately. If it's higher than the FC in the pool, it's working.
Drat. I was hoping for a hydrogen flame test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.