Bonding Question

TommyD

May 29, 2014
Atoka, TN
I am ready to begin bonding my pool.

Since it is a resin pool should I still connect a lug to the posts?

I am going to make one of the 4 connections to the wall connector.

I will have to do the water a little later when I get the plate in but will rough my wire up there in preperation.

Is this overkill?

Here is a pic.

Screenshot_2014-05-30-16-50-23.jpg

Should this be moved to a different section? I don't want to keep 120 ft of #8 copper if I don't need it. I read where a section from the metal wall to the pump would suffice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Correct. The wall is not resin. Should I just tap into the the legs at 3 places? I am going to tap into that metal wall then to the motor. Should I run a rough end to the skimmer for future water bond?

That's what I am doing now. Did you guys tap into the legs? The 4th one will be on the metal wall connector. Do you guys have the water bonded. I don't have the hook up yet but can run the wire if it's needed.

I have 4 legs bonded, the filter, and NY requires 9 sq in metal plate in the skimmer basket to bond the water. I sarcastically asked that since I am bonded with $250 Worth of copper if I could swim in an electrical storm. inspector didn't appreciate the comment.

We just had our resin pool done. Since the legs are all resin our electrician used a small lug nut (made specially for this bonding stuff I think?) that attached the copper wiring to the metal ring that holds the liner in place. Did that at 4-5 places around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
here is how I did mine. Walls are steel, 8 of the supports are steel, the rest are resin. I lug connected all 8 supports using self tapping sheet metal screws in a ring around the pool that started and will stop at pump station. There I will tie into lug on pump, and attach the whole grid to a 3 ft grounding rod driven into the ground until only about 6 inches remain. Later I will add water bond through skimmer and tie to grid along with 2 connections to rebar in concrete decking tied to the grid.

I started bonding before my pool was even finished being built since it is buried 3 ft and once walls are up I would have 12-15 inches of space in which to work in. :compress:

2014-05-29_10-56-12_882.jpg

2014-05-29_10-56-18_441.jpg

I see. I attached lugs to 4 posts equally spaced. I'll take an up close pic tomorrow. The outside of the pool post I connected to has a coating, same as the wall but the post itself has a metal quality albeit thin. If I wasn't careful the tap screw wouldn't hold firm and I had to redo it. I want to make sure this bond is going to do the job. I didn't think you had to attach to a rod in the ground. I will have the circle and terminate at the pump lug.

You need to use some sandpaper and remove that coating. The bonding lug should be full metal to metal contact with the posts. As it is now, only tiny area on the side of the screw through the post has you actually bonded, and thats not enough.

I see. I attached lugs to 4 posts equally spaced. I'll take an up close pic tomorrow. The outside of the pool post I connected to has a coating,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.