Does Flow Affect Chlorine Generation?

Apr 24, 2012
Hi,

I found an Intex SWG on clearance and am considering plumbing it into my in-ground pool. I'd like to plumb it into a by-pass loop so that I don't constrict my current flow. My question is, does flow affect chlorine generation? If the SWG is on a by-pass and therefore not getting as much flow through it as if it were on the main return line, does it generate less chlorine or does it generate the same amount of chlorine per hour regardless of flow? I understand that a certain minimum flow is necessary for it to work, but I don't think that will be a problem with the by-pass idea.

Thanks!
Chris

I would have to disagree in some instances. I replaced a single speed pump with a VS Pump, and my pool runs at 1700 RPM for most of the day, where it used to run at about 3200 RPM. In order to maintain my target of 3 ppm, I had to increase my percentage from 40% to 80%. My SWG is an Intellichlor IC-40. If I left the unit at 40%, it would see a much smaller volume of water for the time the cell was energized. I proved this out over several days of testing.

Yes, less water passes through the cell, but the cell is producing the same amount of FC when it is generating. That is how they work.

If you had to increase the SWG % (which is just the % of time it is generating), that had nothing to do with a lower flow rate through the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.