New on the boards

Tcian

Jul 8, 2008
Hi guys! Just found this site a short time ago and so far it has given me some new insights on owning a pool. We have an AG which I just took down and repainted everything, turned it parallel to the deck that I am planning on building next year, and sunk it in the ground 2 feet, so it would be just above the level of the new deck. ( the dig job was done with a shovel and wheelbarrow and one weeks vacation. ) pool is 12 X 24. I used the foam cove base, and like some others found that it did not stay put on the curved sides. Also used gorillia pad and that has really helped with getting the wrinkles out of the new liner. I just waited until I had about 4 inches of water in the pool, and simply pushed all the winkles to the ends of the pool. The pad made the liner slide very easy. Also used the foam wall liner. Just filled the pool today and everything is perfect.

Now for my question: I just ordered the TF test kit to go the BBB route. Since the pool is now full and running, and everyone is itching to get in ( rebuild and dig took one month ), should I add any bleach now or wait a couple of days till I get the test kit to get a starting point. Volume should work out to 7700 gals.

Thanks,
Todd

Any pool store nearby? Can you have your water tested? What is your fill water, well? You should know if it has metals from your prior experiences, yes?

I wouldn't let anyone swim if I didn't know the PH was in range, but once you have an idea, sure you could add bleach and let em in. NO reason to wait for a test kit if you have another source of testing that is somewhat reasonable, like strips or a pool store.

(pool envy, wish I had the foam and gorilla pad.... :oops: )

You MUST be exhausted and ready for a relaxing swim....!

Welcome :wave:

You want to add about 1 quart of 6% bleach each evening until you add CYA. You should start doing this right away.

Most of the time you can wait on everything else, but now and again there are other levels that need adjusting. It would be best if you got a pool store water test to see where you are starting from. But if that is impractical chances are that you can wait till your test kit arrives for everything other than chlorine.

Thanks guys, I forgot I still have some test strips from last year. Pictures you say? There are three camera crazy people in the house and everytime I do a project I hear the same thing....should have taken some before and after pictures....sigh. Maybe if I put one of the new babies, ( grandchildren ) by the pool I can get some to post later. I still have to backfill, mount the solar cover real on posts and make some raised flower beds to use up the remaining dirt so it will still be awhile before I have time to get wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.