Ground prep for installing new liner?

I'm replacing my liner in a few weeks - first time since the pool was installed 8 years ago. At that time, all I had was sand under the pool. This winter the liner ripped so there has been some minimal exposure of the sand to the air but not much. Still, I think my sand is smooth and packed under the liner. Would a liner pad help protect my new liner or do others think that the liner pad would be a waste and that the sand is enough? How about coves? I've never had them before and was wondering if they really do help preserve a liner. Thanks.

I have a 12 foot round above ground pool. My new liner will be a 25 gauge overlap liner over sand.

all the videos I have saw on liner changes, they just re tamp / smooth the pool floor, raking sand into any areas that are low or where sand is missing. If more sand is needed they haul it in. In most cases, a little re-raking and tamping is all that is needed. Coves can be created while raking the sand from my understanding. i wouldnt worry about a liner pad, I would just haul in more sand if needed.

Thanks, I think I'll bypass a liner pad then. One thing I was thinking was I could, maybe, keep the floor of my old liner in place and just tape up the few holes that have developed over the winter. (The liner developed holes in the sides during the winter and has been empty of water since then.) Do you think there'd be any problems with that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.