Chlorine dropped to zero

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi I opened my pool Tuesday. My cya was 30 ph 7.2 pool calculator had me add 355oz of bleach. Today mt cya is less than 20 and my chlorine is zero. What happened? At the end of last summer my cya was 180. Help please. Do I need stabilizer?

When your pool is on a bleach diet, you need to check the FC on a daily basis and make the appropriate additions. You can't go several days without adding more chlorine, and there isn't a way around it unless you have an automatic feeder such as a Stenner or Liquidator, or go to saltwater chlorine generator.

What test kit are you using? With a drop for CYA from 180 to 30/20 over the winter, that is a sign of potential ammonia problems.

You need to be raising the FC up to 10ppm and then after 30 minutes test for FC and CC ... this requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test found in the Recommended Test Kits.

Chlorine is a consumable and needs to be tested for and added every day.

I assume that is FC and CC? The FAS-DPD does not test for TC ... unless you added the FC and CC together.

Anyway, that is a lot of CC and this is a sign of possible ammonia in the water. As such, the FC is going to be consumed very quickly. Continue to dose up to 10ppm and retesting every 30-60 minutes. Once the CC drop and the FC starts to hold, then you can consider adding some more CYA and continuing the SLAM Process.

I assume that is FC and CC? The FAS-DPD does not test for TC ... unless you added the FC and CC together.

Anyway, that is a lot of CC and this is a sign of possible ammonia in the water. As such, the FC is going to be consumed very quickly. Continue to dose up to 10ppm and retesting every 30-60 minutes. Once the CC drop and the FC starts to hold, then you can consider adding some more CYA and continuing the SLAM Process.

Follow this advice. If you have ammonia it will eat chlorine like it's no body's business. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick answer is yes. Sounds like last year's CYA got converted to ammonia and it takes a fair amount of chlorine to get rid of the ammonia. Good news is that last year's CYA level was way too high so this might be saving you a drain/refill. Adding CYA too soon (or using stabilized chlorine - trichlor or dichlor) can be a problem because the bacteria suspected to convert CYA to ammonia might still be there and could turn your nice fresh CYA into more ammonia, so best to just keep adding bleach until the ammonia is gone, FC levels come up, and bacteria/algae in the water start dying.

If you wanted some visible progress rather than feeling like you're pouring bleach into a bottomless hole you could hit a pet store and pick up an ammonia test kit then watch the ammonia levels come down (assuming that is the problem). I think the record here is 8ppm.

Thanks. I ran out of Clorox and could not get to Costco so I ( gasp ) went to a pool store and got some liquid shock. It's 12.5 % I think it's hypochlorite I haven't used it yet cause I used 300 ounces of Clorox this am. Is it a problem if I use the liquid shock ?
Thanks

Still no trace of chlorine

So after 10 days of pouring bleach into my pool, I still show no signs of chlorine. I've done everything that the forum suggested , to no avail. This is getting ridiculous. I never had this problem before. If it's ammonia, what else can I do? My cya was 24 and is Round that now. I am going to have a SWG installed next week. I can't keep lugging chlorine back from Costco. Don't know if that will solve the problem, but at least I'll have a constant supply of chlorine. Any thoughts out there?

If you reported all the FC and CC measurements and dosing calculations, we would have had more insight. Did you get the water tested for ammonia? There is no magic cure. Chlorine always works.

The SWG is not going to help.

This is going to be a labor of love. Do you have this weekend to commit to the pool and the forum?

If so go get a BUNCH of bleach or liquid chlorine. Post your full starting test numbers and what you plan to dose with.
Rinse and repeat hourly.
Let us guide you.

An swg can't generate the volume of chlorine required to overcome ammonia, it will be consumed before it makes it out of the pipes and into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.