PH Trouble

Aug 20, 2012
Hi Everyone,

First time post since posting my construction story (sad, I know). This has been asked 1,000 times before but I'm hoping to get some guidance on my pool's condition.

My main problem is constant PH at 8.2. Every time I check, I can add acid and have it back down to 7.5 (adding at least 16oz Muriatic Acid) but it never takes more than 3 days to jump right back up. I added acid yesterday and it landed at 7.5 and today (not 24 hours later) its at 7.7.

Any guidance is much appreciated. Below is all the info to help.

Thanks!
D

Current Chem (Tested on TF-100)

PH - 7.7
FC = 2.0 (Working on sensor issues with Aquapure, errors about 10% of time its on)
CC = .5 (First time ever I have gotten any CCs)
TA = 70
CH = 450
CYA = 25 (I was surprised this low)
Salt = 3200

Pool Schedule:
Filter Pump on for 7 hours (9am - 4pm)
SWG at 50%
2 Foam Jets run for 2 hours

Pool:
Free-form In Ground, Max Width: 21'9", Max Length: 31'6", Depth: 3' to 6', Gallons: 14,773 (I don't think this includes spa, but am unsure).
Built in Spa, 7x9 Oval, 50sqft, 6 Waterway Jets, 24" Spill Over into Pool
2 Crystal Foam Jets
Pentair System DE Filter
2HP Pump - 2 Speed
Salt System - AquaPure
400K BTU Heater
Jandy RS6 W/Remote & iAqualink

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

With a new pool surface, the pH often climbs more quickly for the first year or so. Additionally, the SWG itself causes aeration which raises the pH faster. If you have the spill over running, or using the spa, or running your water feature, that also aerates and raises the pH. On the plus side, your TA is not too high which would make it rise even faster.

You just need to keep on adding the acid to keep the pH in range. More advanced would be to try adding borates to slow the pH rise.

BTW, you should really get your CYA quite a bit higher. This will allow you to run the SWG less which will not raise the pH as fast.

Some here report that they can finally keep pH in an acceptable range by keeping TA low.

Perhaps if you get TA down to 60 it might help. But you just may have to keep adding MA indefinitely.

In my case, with a spill over spa, a large pump (for the spa), the SWG, and high TA fill water, I'm constantly battling rising pH 3.5 years after construction.

I'm still adding about a quart of MA to my pool every 7-10 days. The good news is that except for topping up CYA and Borates once or twice a year, adding MA is about the only thing I need to do to keep my numbers in an acceptable range.

Thanks for the quick replies!

So it seems I'm not off to bad with the PH then. I def. will get the CYA up this week. I was surprised it was so low. The pool is just over a year old and I guess the combination of large spa, pump, jets, waterfall are not helping the cause.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll invest in an MA company :)

I'll update the signature.

Thanks,
D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.