New Guy Here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2014
Claysville PA
Just found this site and hope it can provide the info necessary to get a trouble free pool for years to come.

Had the pool installed last year and everything was awesome. Closed it for the winter and apparently didnt winterize properly. no cover, pool still full of water. 2 weeks ago we started trying to get it ready for the season.....and we are still trying to get it ready for the season. It remains a terrible brown color at all times and visibility is no more than 10" from the surface.

Hoping to find help getting it clear and keeping it clear all year with minimal work so i can spend more time enjoying it than tweaking it.

Re: New Guy Here!!! Timreams

Welcome to TFP! You are in the right place! Please, check out Pool School. :goodjob: You will find a link to recommend test kits, the TF100 is the best value with more reagents. It makes pool care easy with reliable testing. You will also find educational material to help you understand easy pool care.

The pool stores tend to be inaccurate due to the testing methods, the uninformed person performing the test, and lack of caring. This isn't true at ALL pool stores, but it is more common than not.

well apparently it doesnt matter. i was just told that we will not be buying a test kit of our own. we will just be getting a different filter and doing what we did last year. so once again everyone will get to enjoy the pool but me.

so having said that what would be a proper setup for a 10.5k pool with a 62gpm pump?

Well, that is very close-minded ;)

Why do you need a new filter? That will not solve an algae problem if that is what you are thinking.

A Recommended Test Kit is a small investment to make which will save a LOT of hassle and money in the future by avoiding pool stores and their magic potions.

- - - Updated - - -

I just merged your other post into this one as it provides some info about your pool.

You do not need a filter. You need to be able to test your chemistry and make informed adjustments.

thanks for the merge, i missed reading the notice about moderator approval when i posted the first time and couldnt figure out what went wrong lol.

My wife believes we need a better filter to get the water clear again from the winter, once the water is clear i will just have to maintain it like i did last year, with chlorine, ph, up/down, stabilizer, algaecide

This is 100% NOT a filter problem.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

With the right tool for the job, you will not need pH up/down, you will use cheaper muriatic acid. You will not need expensive algaecide (which may have copper and that can be a bigger problem) because you will be maintaining adequate FC.

Not to start a fight, but if our methods are what you want to use (and you really should) and she wants to do something else ... wash your hands of the pool and make it her responsibility. :shock:

I guarantee you can get a test kit AND clean the pool up for less than the cost of buying a new filter (and still have a brown/green pool).

I personally have read all of those links in Pool School and i do believe we can accomplish the task with minimal chemicals and the filter we already have.....this filtration system worked fine all last year. Granted we are in Pennsylvania so there is only really 3 months worth of swimming season before subtracting for rain days. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like a game of chicken ... how long will she be willing to look at an unmaintained and unusable pool if it is up to her :lol:

Well, not sure what to say. I think you know the right path forward, up to you to decide if you are going to take it or be derailed.

You could always let her buy the "new" filter and state that if it does not fix the problem (which it won't), she needs to step back and leave the pool decisions to you.

Not to start a fight, but if our methods are what you want to use (and you really should) and she wants to do something else ... wash your hands of the pool and make it her responsibility. :shock:

I guarantee you can get a test kit AND clean the pool up for less than the cost of buying a new filter (and still have a brown/green pool).

100% this. It's my first year using this site's knowledge and the wonderful people here and I know more about pools than every employee at the pool store, combined. After my experience, it's borderline insanity that I ever thought trying to let someone else manage the pool would be a good idea.

yay, new guy wins. she is going to let me take a shot at fixing the pool with the same filter we already have.

And there was much rejoicing.

rejoicing.gif

OK, so you are going to need the FAS-DPD chlorine test to do this correctly. If you can swing it, I would recommend the TF-100 with the XL option ... it should last you a few years stored properly. Ideally you would also get the SpeedStir, but not required. So get this ordered ASAP.

Until then, I hesitantly suggest you get your water tested at a pool store. They are notoriously bad at testing, but better than nothing right now to get a feel for where you might be.

Is there a gauge on your filter? Does it work? With a small cartridge filter it is going to be a pain to clear up the pool (frequent cleanings), but it is possible.

Have you used a leaf rake to scoop out anything that might be on the bottom of the pool?

You know you are going to need liquid chlorine and a lot of it, so start shopping for the best price. This calculator can help with that: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/56787-Liquid-chlorine-calculator

And these would be a good review (maybe even have the wife look at them):
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
SLAM Process

i do have a gauge but it doesnt work. it quit working about a week after we installed the pool last year. the filter isnt really all that small. its a 100sq ft filter about 4ft tall.

i have not yet used a leaf rake, we have just been using a standard pool vacuum.

You need to manually scoop out everything you can. And order a new gauge when you order the test kit. tftestkits has some nice liquid filled ones that cost the same as the junk ones you will find at a pool store.

That filter is a decent size for your size pool, although larger would be better.

You can always use a larger filter, there is no minimum flow through them

For a 10k pool, my general recommendations would be at least a 150 sqft cartridge or 2 sqft sand filter. But, you have a shorter season, so likely could get by with a little smaller.

So, to me that sand filter is a better fit to your pool than the cartridge.

A sand filter would be much less hassle initially with backwashing and clearing up the pool, but they can be a little slower later on to clear up the last bit of cloudiness (although some DE can help that).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.