Hayward Skimmer Installation Prior to setting up Pool

norwei

May 22, 2014
Brentwood, CA
Hi folks, I got my Hayward skimmer and I am wondering if there is any way to install it on the pool liner while the pool is not set up yet. I haven't finished leveling the ground. I was thinking that if I can install it prior to pool setup, then I don't have to split the gasket into two therefore keeping the seal intact.

Thanks.

I don't think you would want to do it with no water in. I am sure as the weight of the water fills the pool....the liner "stretches" out somewhat and you would not want that stretching to take place after you cut a hole.

My recommendation would be to fill the pool about halfway. That should be enough to stress the vinyl sides so that you can have a good flat surface to work with and without worries of anything changing after the hole is cut. If I had bought my skimmer prior to filling...this is the way I would have done it. I ended up installing mine with the pool full and had to split the gasket. No leaks and I really don't see any way it will ever leak. That vinyl is tough stuff. I installed the inner flange with half the gasket from the inside using an awl to poke holes in the side of the pool and push the screws through. With all the screws in place sticking out the outside of the pool there was hardly any leaks and half the screws were below the waterline. I was really surprised at just how tough the liner is.

I am sure someone else will chime in...but that is how I would do it.

Why not erect the pool and install the skimmer as it fills but before water reaches the skimmer level? You'll still be able to use the butterfly gasket as intended and you're likely for the side panel to be stretched more closely to its ultimate position. Trying to assemble the frame and liner with a clunky skimmer attached to it seems awkward.

I just bought my skimmer for my rectangle intex this morning, and I was going to install it before I fill it too.... I did it for the suctions I replaced.... But I think what they're saying about the liner stretching for a larger hole like this is correct, so I've decided not to install it until its 3/4 full.... :)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. So, I will erect the pool and fill it up almost all the way to the skimmer level and then install the skimmer. I can't wait to finish my leveling. I have been doing it on and off for almost a week now after work and it is backbreaking especially working with clay.

Thanks again everyone.

Yes, I would fill to just below the skimmer before cutting. You want the liner to be fully stretched, and having it taut makes it easier to cut straight. Don't worry, it won't split. Here was mine:

temporary_zps0c79bfe4.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.