pool pump impeller removal?

czechscott

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
I am replacing my 1hp challenger pump. My problem is that can't get the impeller off. The center screw is a reversible thread and I have removed that. I tried to pry off the impeller but no go. I don't know if there is another way remove that. Do I need to use a flywheel puller?

Can you get me a pic (well, actually 2 - 1 of the outside/ side view, and 1 of the back of the motor with the cap off)? I'm not sure who makes the challenger but have probably had to have dealt with one at some point in the past 20 years - the pics may spark a recollection of how they come apart - the impeller unscrews - normal threads - what I'm looking for is the way to lock the shaft so you can unscrew it.

I got it. You were right the motor had a cap on the back. When I got it back from the motor store they spray painted the end cap so I thought it was one piece. Sometimes I have to step back when I get frustrated and then come back to it. I got it together and attached again. I am having a prime issue now. I feel it could be because I am out of the ring lube for the union between the pump and the pump basket. I have never tried vaseline. Any ideas? Thanks for the quick response.

I am really having a hard time pulling a prime on this pump. When I take off the pump basket lid after I've tried priming for about 5 min. it does something peculiar. It bubbles up from the bottom of the pump basket on the pump side. A lot of air bubbles come out. Is it possible that I have attached something wrong and it is not able to pump. The only thing that I can think of is that there might be something wrong with the spring behind the impeller. After I prime it and power on it makes a kind of cush sound which sounds like air is coming in somewhere. Any suggestions?
A

I only have one suction source so I am trying to pull the prime just through the pump. I am using a garden hose to fill up the pump basket and line into the pump basket. When I seal the pump basket and power it on I am still having trouble. Water seems to be going to the pump side because when I turn off, and unscrew the lid to the pump basket the water gurgles back into the pump basket from the pump side of the basket. It also really bubbles pack up into the basket. It's hasn't ever done that before so I'm thinking it is something that I did when I replaced the motor. I am getting concerned because we had a storm last night and my water is starting to cloud. I need circulation.

yes, I am fairly certain that I did. When I put the impeller on I noticed that there was a spring over a rubber bushing. I am now wondering if I may have done anything to the rubber bushing. Could that have caused the air leak?

Well my prime problem was caused by the rubber bushing of the spring. I have nice circulation. I should get my test kit today. I am excited to start on the BBB method as soon as I get my levels. Thanks for all the help. I love this website! I have learned so much. I am going to try the ascorbic acid treatment for the stains. I used the vitamin c tablet as someone on the forum suggested and the stains came right out.
scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.