NEED FC level up and CYA----help

BLUR2U

May 28, 2014
New Haven, KY
Ok, I have my test kit set to arrive monday, so right now I am relying on pool store and guess strips. Pool is 30' AG, 1.5hp pump with cartridge filter. yesterday the pool store tested my sample and told me everything was good, just need to shock and increase CYA, and then add a little chlorine. My FC was .2 and my TC was 2.2, my CYA was 20.(my FC was not showing up on guessstrips at all) I put in 2.2 lbs of GLB Oxy Brite and 1 gallon of Natural Chemistry Pool Conditioner per his recommendation and then added 121 oz of 8.25% chlorine bleach.

I ran my pump all night and this morning I tested with strips and now my FC level shows up but it's only .2-.5. My CYA is still reading 20, and the PH appears to have possibly raised slightly.

other readings: ALK 180 HRD 250

Question is what do you guys recommend i do??

Also, do these test strips have an expiration, mine are from last season. I can't wait until I get my TF-100 monday!!!

Do you guys pull a sample from bottom/middle of pool and test that or just pull off top of pool?

Thanks,

Sam

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and pool water is clear...

snip
Question is what do you guys recommend i do??

Also, do these test strips have an expiration, mine are from last season. I can't wait until I get my TF-100 monday!!!

Do you guys pull a sample from bottom/middle of pool and test that or just pull off top of pool?

Thanks,

Sam

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and pool water is clear...
Until you get a test kit you can trust, I'd suggest you add a whole jug of chlorox to the pool every day to try to keep it clear.

The pump should have been running at least 30 minutes before you get your sample. Either plunge your arm in beyond your elbow to get the sample, or use a length of ½" PVC pipe as a pipette. That is, cap one end with your thumb, stick the pipe in the water a couple feet down and away from the edge, then uncap it and let it fill. Cap it again and lift it out. Hold it over a waiting sample bottle/cup and release it. That's especially good when the water is uncomfortably cold.

Welcome to TFP.

First step is to stop trusting the pool store. The Oxy brite is Potassium peroxymonosulfate, not on the list of things we recommend. The Natural Chemistry Pool Conditioner is CYA, without a good test of your current CYA level you may be over target now and need to do a partial drain and fill to get the CYA down.

The only chemistry you are likely to need in the hear future is bleach.

Hang tight until your TF-100 shows up, don't trust the pool store and you will have a crystal clear cheap and easy to maintain pool in no time flat.

Use pool math (link below or in the blue bar above) to figure out how much bleach to add daily as your CL is consumed.

Chris

Thanks guys! I feel better....I don't want to lose all the work we have already put in it to get it clear! I will continue to dump 1 jug of bleach each day until my kit arrives.

Great idea on the sample, don't know why I didn't think of that. I used to titrate metal pretreatment wash tanks everyday and the that is how I pulled my samples, especially on my Acid tank. :) So I am very familiar with the drop based tests and that kit can't get here fast enough! I don't want to have to rely on anyone else to tell me how my water looks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.